Active Topics

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Great summary, glad you figured it out. There is something on maemo's wiki that streamlines the connection so you don't have to run Xterm to run the scripts everytime you connect, but I haven't figured it out yet. Wish Nokia would just add all this in already.

I'm jealous of your speed! Best I get on T-mobile is 145kbps, then again, we don't have 3G

Hey, has anyone tried this with the N800? My version doesn't have bnep.ko, am I missing something or did all you 770 users just have this?

When I try the scripts it connects... As in the phone says that it has connected, but nothing will happen when I try to visit pages or ping any IPs...

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Houston
Take a look here. When I was first tackling this I believe I ran this command. (Note I use a 770)

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO-BluetoothNetworking

insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/bnep.ko

Good luck.

Hmm, I don't have this file.... Which seems odd to me. My little bit of research says that it enables bluetooth networking with PAN in the kernel, but I could be mistaken.

Perhaps it's compiled into the kernel for OS 2007?

AHHH, I see, apparently bnep.ko IS compiled into the kernel for OS2007... However, there is something weird with my dummy IAP... I can use minimo just fine on the phone connection, but the built in opera doesn't work at all!

From what I can see, when I try to use the dummy connection (named "DEFAULT") it never leaves the "connecting" connection status. How a dummy connection connects is beyond me, but apparently the built in apps won't work without it... Using minimo it works just fine...

Anyone have ANY ideas???

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
wish i could help. i wish nokia would just integrate it into the OS already.

Yeah, me too. The fact that bnep.ko is now compiled into the kernel makes me think we'll see it in a release soon, but that may or may not be true.

bnep.ko being compiled in is probably just because the N800 has more ram than the 770. Leaving it out meant it could be added into running memory if/when needed, and then removed. When it IS loaded, though, it will take up more memory than if it was just compiled in like now. It's a trade off.

I wouldn't expect Nokia to add this to the GUI unless one of us adds it first.

Originally Posted by pcman View Post
All I have to say is Thank You!

I've got it working. What I had to do was go into the current pairing on my phone and delete the n770 that I was previously trying to pair. When I reran the script on the n770 I was prompted to connect/enter a password on the phone, entered 1234, the N770 then prompted for a password, entered 1234, tried to connect to my website and voila, it worked.
Does it work with Opera? Just got my N800 a few days ago and finally got it paired with my Blackjack. Opera doesn't work with bt PAN however Minimo does. This was noted in another post so I'm wondering does anybody have Opera working with bt PAN? Personally I prefer it to Minimo.