Poll: Why didn't you vote?
Poll Options
Why didn't you vote?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Ohh, Geneven, I think that's a bit harsh.

When nokia were developing the tablets, they took decisions such as not including a PIM, or word document reading functionality. Both features are present in S60 phones as default, and both features have been heavily critisised by users since.

My impression is that with Maemo.org, and the council, Nokia are trying to encourage user involvement, and feedback in a controlled manner that Nokia can cope with, and listening to any of your users, be they Developers, or Power Users, or Normal Users is a good thing, and should be encouraged.

What should happen is that people like you and I, who are active users and participants, should help steer and influence the council members.

I now have a maemo.org account BTW, and will try and garner enough brownie points to be able to vote in future.

Gaz

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I now have a maemo.org account BTW, and will try and garner enough brownie points to be able to vote in future.
If you've linked in your iTT account by entering the proper information in your profile on maemo.org, then I think you'll find after the karma calculator next runs that you have already earned more than enough karma to vote.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
My impression is that with Maemo.org, and the council, Nokia are trying to encourage user involvement, and feedback in a controlled manner that Nokia can cope with, and listening to any of your users, be they Developers, or Power Users, or Normal Users is a good thing, and should be encouraged.
Nokia isn't the one who came up with and implemented the council, the community is. maemo.org and the council are by the community, for the community, of the community.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What concerns me is that any rise in influence of the Maemo Community is likely to diminish the already miniscule influence of the users.
Yes, a few enthusiasts have way more influence than the people out there purchasing the hardware to the tune of millions of dollars.

The migration of this user-centered site to the Maemo whatever may be the death knell to the tablets.
You keep making inaccurate statements like these and I keep trying to correct you (to, apparently, no effect). It's this flawed view of the situation that largely invalidates most of your arguments.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If I'm wrong, I'm happy. We'll see what happens.

The fact that this site is migrating is not true? That's great! The fact that this is a user-centered site is true, I guess.

The fact that the Maemo site is programmer-centered is not true? I think it is true. You say it is changing. I say, no fair taking credit for a change that has not happened.

For example, the Wiki that you have put together so helpfully, specifies that it is mainly for advanced users. Presumably there is another Wiki in the wings that will cure all such ills.

The POSSIBILITY that the planned changes may be the death knell to the tablets CANNOT be contradicted -- unless you have a crystal ball. No one knows the future, even me.

The POSSIBILITY that the planned changes may be the death knell to the tablets CANNOT be contradicted -- unless you have a crystal ball. No one knows the future, even me.
There's an argument that can't be used to support saying anything. . . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-03-28 at 19:42.

If it is true that Maemo is converting from a developer-centric website to an end-user one, then I think this page needs a serious rewrite. Specifically this line:

Writers specializing on end user topics are only accepted exceptionally: maemo.org is for developers and power users.

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-03-29 at 00:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
If it is true that Maemo is converting from a developer-centric website to an end-user one
Maemo isn't a website, Maemo is a software platform. maemo.org is the website.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
But it's true that Planet Maemo needs to be re-thought to address the new situation. This is worth a new thread for discussion.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Maemo isn't a website, Maemo is a software platform. maemo.org is the website.
They call that "being understood".

Additionally, the name of the website is maemo, .org is a generic top level domain that indicates the maemo website is an organization.

Stop splitting hairs. It only makes one of us look like a fool, and it's not me.

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-03-28 at 20:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:

Tags
community council, maemo.org