Notices

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
My pleasure.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Hi there, I have had my 770 for quite sometime now, but never had the chance/time to play with VNC before although I needed something like that

Well today I have installed the VNC server to my windows xp device,
just because I don't like trial stuff I have purchased it without even trying the connection between XP and 770
And now (of course) I cannot connect to the ip address...

I am using linksys wireless router and I have pc cillin firewall
I turned off the firewall and forwarded ports 5000 - 6000 thru router setup page.

and still cannot connect to my server...
Any help is apriciated

I also have this problem you guys mentioned earlier in the Thread for not to be able to rerun the VNC client after you have closed it. But I just restart the device. Somebody mentioned to kill the task via XTERM. I'd also like to get some info about how to kill it via XTERM(I'm totally new to XTERM)

Thanks so much in advance...

To kill it in xterm:
Do "ps ax | grep vncviewer", remember the number at the beginning of the line displayed. Type "kill <number>". If that doesn't work, do "kill -9 <number>".

How are you connecting between the tablet and your PC?

Also, the free edition of VNC is fully functional, nag free, open source software, I assume you bought the personal edition? Why?
Try the free edition, it is possible that the additions in the protocol used by the personal edition is preventing you from connecting. The "One-Port HTTP & VNC" and "File Transfer" additions sound like they could case problems.

It might be the personal addition then,
I will go ahead and try the free version... and let you know if it's working right...

I had XTERM with 2005 OS and never played with it like I said,
I downloaded the new one but It says it's not compatible with my 770
it's probably still the old one... If you know the exact link for the new xterm could you please provide it? Do I have to play with the device to be able to become root?
I was just reading some threads about becoming a root, but they were stepping that thru a linux device. I am on a XP device here, I have a SUSE10 machine next to me, but I am so new to linux. I couldn't even get suse10 to run well yet

Thanks once again for quick reply.

I got the free version and tried to connect but it still says "could not connect to server"

I assume you are connecting between the devices via WiFi?
Are you sure that you have the IP address of your XP machine correct?
Are you using the IP address (WINS/NetBios addresses won't work)?
Could you try temporarily disabling your firewall?
Make sure you are connecting to VNC display 0. (The address should be <IP of server>:0)

Last edited by mallard; 2006-07-09 at 18:34. Reason: Typo

http://maemo-hackers.org/wiki/OssoXterm will take you to the page for the 2006 version of XTerm. Install it using Application Manager. It should then appear in the Extras menu.

To gain root easily, you need to install OpenSSH from the maemo repositry using Application Manager and then follow the instructions at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2 to SSH to your 770 and amend the sudoers file.

- Neil.

The easiest way to become root on 2006 is to install the "becomeroot" package from here: http://eko.one.pl/index.php?page=Nok...are#becomeroot

Well I have installed the xterm thru application manager

I have installed that, and typed in
/ $ sudo su-
It now asks me for password:
what do I do here?