Active Topics

Notices

The pidgin libs can also be used via libpurple (account plugin haze iirc), not sure if that brings the AV caps through, but would be better to all use the same framework really, rather than needing to run another app (i.e. Pidgin).

Fring is ready for the N900 - this allows multiple IM clients including MSN.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Do any of the apps listed above actually come with the phone or do i need to download and install them separately?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
the one rusti suggested is a plugin, and it's not preinstalled. It just enables msn for the conversations/contacts whatever it's called. So it is integrated the same way gtalk is, and it's pretty sweet actually.

As stated by rusti, it is in extras-testing, so you'd have to activate that and install from app manager.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
there is also http://maemo.org/packages/view/account-plugin-haze/ that uses the pidgin plugin protocols
hat supports
* AIM
* GaduGadu
* Groupwise
* QQ
* Sametime
* Yahoo

But that is still only in extras-devel, but it's coming.
For me a separate im app is not needed since it's integrated in the system, but it's always nice to have options.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
there is also http://maemo.org/packages/view/account-plugin-haze/ that uses the pidgin plugin protocols
hat supports
* AIM
* GaduGadu
* Groupwise
* QQ
* Sametime
* Yahoo

For me a separate im app is not needed since it's integrated in the system, but it's always nice to have options.
Is the program you linked to also integrated? Or separate? Not quite sure in which way to interpret your last comment

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Is the program you linked to also integrated? Or separate? Not quite sure in which way to interpret your last comment
Okay, let me explain a bit.

The built-in IM client uses Telepathy. There are two ways to use MSN through telepathy:

* telepathy-butterfly
* telepathy-haze

Later versions of telepathy-butterfly support video chat, however that is not supported in the version for N900... yet. The guys working on it are very interested in making it a reality for us.

Telepathy-haze allows the use of libpurple plugins... so essentially the Pidgin protocol plugin.

Both methods for connecting to MSN are integrated fully into the internal chat program.

Since Saturday, neither plugin appears to work for me anymore, disconnecting constantly or never connecting at all. I believe this is because I upgraded the firmware from 39-9 to 41-10. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
So basically any protocol supported by Pidgin can theoretically also be integrated into the N900's internal chat functions? That would be awesome, because I'd also love to have ICQ support

Just installed telepathy-butterfly and logged on to MSN and it connected. Pulled in MSN contacts as well. I'm using 41-10.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by mece View Post
hat supports
* AIM
* GaduGadu
* Groupwise
* QQ
* Sametime
* Yahoo

Woah! Did you just say 'Groupwise'? What does it plug infrom groupwise? can I access my NHS email this way???

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo