Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Anyone have a recommendation as to what to use for these NEW settings in Gizmo5?

https://my.gizmo5.com/gizmo5/app?class=MySip;proc=start

Google Voice - Experimental Service
Google Voice Calling is OFF
Google Voice username:
Google Voice password:

Use for U.S. calls only
Use for all calls
OFF

EDIT: this is answered in post #25 in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=25

However, I am still not sure if I should use it...
See www.gizmovoice.com

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-07-29 at 16:34.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I just saw your post. All my Skype calls are choppy, even short ones. (I'm not sure why.)

Why do you think the Gizmo quality would be better? The client software?

Maybe it is worth trying Gizmo... are you still getting better quality than Skype?
Yes, I am getting better quality than Skype. I use skype on my PC and never had an issue with it there. I think it is the skype application for the tablet. After all, Skype has not updated the application since 2007. It's like they abandoned it.
The thing I like the most about using Gizmo (with the built in client) is the automatic log in when I go from wifi hotspot to hotspot. I move around to a lot of different location during the day and they all have wifi, but my skype would not automatically log back in. I would have to manually log it back in. But as soon as the the tablet gets an IP address the clients is logged in. No worries.

Anyone have a recommendation as to what to use for these NEW settings in Gizmo5?

EDIT: this is answered in post #25 in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=25

However, I am still not sure if I should use it...
See www.gizmovoice.com
It works fine using the N800 client. The only thing so far is it not showing my caller ID to the other person as my Google Voice number. I'll check it again. Also, if I just use the dial pad on my NIT, then I have to have all my GV contacts on my NIT. I haven't download them yet to add them to my contacts on my tablet. So far I still use the Google mobile page via Tear (it's actually faster than Dialcentral) plus I'm having issues with my Dialcentral. I'm waiting for Epage to update it to fix my issues.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Thanks! Great blogs!

EDIT:
The tutorial on your blog allowed me to get everything set up and working. One question:

I do not understand the ramifications of the “Callback Number” in DialCentral. Does it make a difference if I use my cell phone or my landline? What about using my SkypeIn number here?
The purpose of the "Callback Number" in DialCentral is so you can decide which phone you want to use for the call. Google Voice will call you on that phone before connecting you with the person you are calling. It took me a little while before I figured out that DialCentral doesn't place the call directly.

Cell phone vs. landline? Well, you'd be using minutes on a cell phone unless you have one of those "fave" or "family circle" plans, in which case you could set your GV number as one of your "faves." Some here have done that.

It should work with your SkypeIn number, although I haven't tried that.

Is that what you wanted to know.

You could also set someone else's phone up as a "callback number" without their knowledge, then have Google Voice connect them to you. I did that to my wife once and it confused the heck out of her.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
@hornartist - thanks! That's very helpful and I understand now. I tested a few calls and it works as you describe. Google Voice is even cooler than I thought. This might be my favorite Google app ever.

The only thing that I still have not tried is making a call FROM my N810 to a regular phone using DialCentral.

I can do this easily with the Skype client on the N810. I'll try DialCentral and see how that works.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Well now that Gizmo5 is not working any longer with Google Voice, the 3 minute calls do not even work for me, I tried to install using DialCentral, and on the DialCentral Screen I am trying to add the google voice account, but it keeps prompting me to enter a grandcentral login. Even when I go to file>new login it just prompts the dial central login which I do not have. Anyone have any thoughts?

@hornartist - thanks! That's very helpful and I understand now. I tested a few calls and it works as you describe. Google Voice is even cooler than I thought. This might be my favorite Google app ever.

The only thing that I still have not tried is making a call FROM my N810 to a regular phone using DialCentral.

I can do this easily with the Skype client on the N810. I'll try DialCentral and see how that works.
How did it workout for you? I cannot change the option to Google Voice from GrandCentral in Dial Central

1. Got Gizmo5 and Google Voice accounts
2. Added Gizmo5 SIP number to my Google Voice's list of registered phones
3. Calling the Google Voice number rings my N770 with the Gizmo5 client running, as expected
4. Added Google Voice username and password to Gizmo5 (to receive/make free calls with Gizmo5 via Google Voice)
5. Gizmo5 call-out to a U.S. landline gets me a message to buy call-out credits for Gizmo5

Registering my Gizmo5 SIP number with Google Voice gets me free call-in, correct? There's no need to register my Google Voice account with Gizmo5 if call-in is all I want?

Registering my Google Voice account with Gizmo5, in theory, would get me free call-out? (Even if it's limited to 3 minutes, that's enough to contact someone for him/her to get his/her computer up for tablet-to-computer calls.)

Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
1. Got Gizmo5 and Google Voice accounts
2. Added Gizmo5 SIP number to my Google Voice's list of registered phones
3. Calling the Google Voice number rings my N770 with the Gizmo5 client running, as expected
4. Added Google Voice username and password to Gizmo5 (to receive/make free calls with Gizmo5 via Google Voice)
5. Gizmo5 call-out to a U.S. landline gets me a message to buy call-out credits for Gizmo5

Registering my Gizmo5 SIP number with Google Voice gets me free call-in, correct? There's no need to register my Google Voice account with Gizmo5 if call-in is all I want?

Registering my Google Voice account with Gizmo5, in theory, would get me free call-out? (Even if it's limited to 3 minutes, that's enough to contact someone for him/her to get his/her computer up for tablet-to-computer calls.)

That is correct, however all day today I have been having issues with Gizmo5, I think they really got slammed hard once they integrated with GoogleVoice.

Every single call I make with Gizmo is saying We do not recognize the number you dialed, 1800, cellphone and landlines all not working. It rings then gives a generic message stating We do not recognize the number you dialed. Any thoughts?

Tags
free phone service, gizmo, google voice, sunrocket