Notices

I would like to buy a blue tooth GPS from below site, can some one suggest good mount for my 770? they are giving free mount with gps, i want that to use for my 770.
http://www.semsons.com/homblgpsreyc.html

I just received the iTrek/iBlue solar GPS from semsons with a great free mount : CM929-S.
I've mounted the n800 on it and it fits well in horizontal mode, thanks to the 360 degree clip ! Not yet tested in car.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Yeah, that's confusing. Map deletion is performed in the same "thread" as map downloading, and it uses the same progress bar. So, it might say "Downloading maps", but it's really deleting them. I should fix that, I think, although I'm not sure what the best approach is. "Downloading/Deleting maps"? "Modifying maps"?
Hmmm, something tries to connect to the net though, and doesn't appear to do anything unless it succeeds.
That sounds doable. Write up a Feature Request on garage.maemo.org, so I don't forget.
Will do...
The GPX Driving Directiosn web service already filters "Rd" into "Road", "St" into "Street", and a whole slew of other translations.
Hmmm, one seemed to get through. If I work out which I'll pass on the info.
There have been reports of the satellite repositories being a little finicky, sometime blocking requests for some time or returning error pages. I don't think it's ever been permanent, though. Does maps.google.com work?
Google street continues to work, and I have satellite access back now. I'll keep an eye on the situ. Last time I checked though, I got a "bad URL" message when downloading G street by area, though not by route. VE street also failed by area, but silently. I have no connection right now, but will try to investigate further.

Could you guys talk about the GPS devices in the thread that exists for that purpose -- would keep the info about the devices in one place for others to find, too.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1970

Given the amount of (natural) interest in Maemo Mapper, it really would deserve a sub-forum of its own with a couple of sticky threads for this topics...

Originally Posted by sping View Post
Google street continues to work, and I have satellite access back now. I'll keep an eye on the situ. Last time I checked though, I got a "bad URL" message when downloading G street by area, though not by route. VE street also failed by area, but silently. I have no connection right now, but will try to investigate further.
If I make a cellular connection, that sometimes happens to me. The phone takes its time establishing a link (I don't keep it data connected all the time), and that may cause some kind of problem for the maps downloading thread. Probably a timeout in an opportune place -- in some other places, it waits much longer.

That's quite different from what happens when downloading routes. That process fails with a "could not connect" immediately when pressing Ok in the route dialog, despite the link being established in the background. I've learnt to wait in the dialog for the "Phone connected" message that tells the OS finished the link negotiation.

Originally Posted by osma View Post
Given the amount of (natural) interest in Maemo Mapper, it really would deserve a sub-forum of its own with a couple of sticky threads for this topics...
Absolutely... I just posted that suggestion in Comments/Suggestions.

Originally Posted by sping View Post
Last time I checked though, I got a "bad URL" message when downloading G street by area, though not by route. VE street also failed by area, but silently. I have no connection right now, but will try to investigate further.
I got a reproducible problem, and submitted bug 1066. Perhaps others can try it out and see it's something weird about my setup. I just reflashed yesterday though, so I think my system is very clean.

Alrighty.... this is a strange one. I ordered a Holux GPSlim 240, and it worked straight up. I've been using it for a few days, and last night, I finally figured out how to add POIs for our Geocaching. I shut everything down and plugged in the chargers. Today, I started up MM after the GPS was running, and it started and then died trying to get the GPS fix. I Started it from the command line, and it just hangs there, not getting anything from the GPS. I deleted the POI.db, uninstalled MM, cleared the settings with gconf, reinstalled, and still the same problem. I seem to have found all the problems everyone was having, but all at once! Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think the GPS died, but you never know...

Tim

When I've a gps problem, I try :
- disable gps from Mapper and shut down Mapper,
- power off gps ...(wait some seconds)... power it on,
- go to the config panel, bluetooth, delete gps, scan for new ... and found/add/pair the gps,
- load Mapper, go to Settings, scan for GPS...select it,
- enable gps in Mapper.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by tps View Post
Today, I started up MM after the GPS was running, and it started and then died trying to get the GPS fix.
Have you installed the new RTComm beta? This seems to cause problems like this.