Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
OK, to be clear - there is no way SGX driver to be build in scratchbox using source from repository. There are several header files missing and nowhere to be found(at least legally). Like pvr2d.h and such. The same ones stskeeps is maintaining for DE, just an older version. And what drives me crasy is that it seems there is a SGX driver fork made especially for Nokia, as from year now TI Graphics SDK is free to be downloaded. But it is usless for n900.

@stskeeps - are you allowed to share under which license n900 SGX SDK is distributed, and if you are will you share it(I mean the license)?
Ah, that's what you were hinting at. Do you have nokia-closed repository in your scratchbox?

AFAIK the opengles-img-sgx development headers (which are in scratchbox) should have those.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Sarcasm is not an act of stupidity, it actually is a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark.
I didn't detect any sarcasm In your post, it went off the charts with stupidity though.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You did not even pick up on the sarcasm but never mind eh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
There's no way but the official route. Are you asking me to breach my contract and do criminal activities, opening myself to civil suit for damages and criminal prosecution?

Are you stupid?
Your proving to me all the time that you and the CSSU team are miles apart and by the looks of it will stay that way.

We have a strange situation on our hands here in that your the MeeGo build and the CSSU are the Maemo build and as you have already stated you will never bend a rule so it will always be a case of Maemo v MeeGo.

The more reason for this Poll.

But you keep coming in this thread and pushing MeeGo and never talk about Maemo at all.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-02 at 07:06.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Ah, that's what you were hinting at. Do you have nokia-closed repository in your scratchbox?

AFAIK the opengles-img-sgx development headers (which are in scratchbox) should have those.
Of course I have the repos enabled, it is a part of scratchbox installation . opengles-img-sgx-dev (and others) are just missing those headers.

My point is - if there is some legal violation not including headers needed to build SGX xorg driver it could be a start point to contact Nokia asking to release at least what should be released. Not talking about legal actions or so. But once communication channel established it could ease further requests.

EDIT: Wil you answer my question re SGX SDK license, please?

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-06-02 at 07:10.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Your proving to me all the time that you and the CSSU team are miles apart and by the looks if it will stay that way.

We have a strange situation on our hands here in that your the MeeGo build and the CSSU are the Maemo build and as you have already stated you will never bend a rule so it will always be a case of Maemo v MeeGo.

The more reason for this Poll.
You are quickly approaching the peak of mt. idiot. If you want someone to break the law then feel free to do it yourself. In the meanwhile shut up.

Stskeeps is being civil despite your constant *****ing, moaning and attacking. Show some respect.

Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
You are quickly approaching the peak of mt. idiot. If you want someone to break the law then feel free to do it yourself. In the meanwhile shut up.

Stskeeps is being civil despite your constant *****ing, moaning and attacking. Show some respect.
Between you and Daneel your attacking is more and more obvious.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
I'm attacking you because you are demanding a developer break the law. It is absurd. You are absurd. This thread is absurd.

On top of it all you avoid responding to any valid criticism. You're either deluded or butthurt, probably both.

Did you figure that out on your own? I though my statement about your unlimited capacity for incapacity possessed a subtle quality that was only revealed to the most observant of minds, i guess i underestimated you.

Please accept my apologies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
The title of this thread is PETITION to Nokia to release the full source code of the Maemo OS to this Community and now we have a full blown MeeGo discussion going on here so may i remind everyone to please stay on topic?..

* BME, redistributable binary blob
Ha!
* TI OMAP3 SGX drivers, userland, redistributable binary blobs, matches with a kernel side driver that's fairly OK to forward port.
Yes for this we have to ask TI politely.
* Misc calibration tools for wlan, redistributable binary blobs, only really depending on a WLAN driver kernel interface
This sounds fishy.
* PulseAudio algorithms for 3GPP compliance, redistributable binary blobs (you won't get good sound without this)
Not good if you plan to use your phone as communication device
* Xorg driver for SGX, open source, but links to closed source SGX drivers (PVR2D interface, etc)
As useful as a broken window
* Open source ofono/telephony driver and pulseaudio modules for speech communication with modem
Are both driver and modules open source, or just driver?
* Camera firmware, open source (it's really just register poking). Basic camera features work without blobs.
Here we go again.
* Upcoming: blobs for accessing AGPS and almost Maemo5-quality camera usage.

For each of the closed source bits, we're actively exploring opportunities how to 1) build these in the future in case it's needed and 2) how to avoid situations where they cease to work.
Here is the best choice: open specification or/and release existing drivers under GPL. Any other option turns us into beggars.

As said above, rest of platform is OSS, including applications. You won't easily find sane hardware that doesn't in some way require closed blobs on ARM side. And don't say the Freerunner.
I say Neo Freerunner, except for the Glamo.

Given that the blobs exist and they are redistributable and usable, it's a better situation than not having them at all.
Are you sure these binary redistributables are GPL compliant?

Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway