Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Please name few innovations that happened in US before any other market out there?
Is this what this forum has truly degraded to?

Wow.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Wow, engadget commenters are almost as bad as youtube

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I'm just hoping that instead of jumping from the platform, they use Alien Dalvik to extinguish the flames....

The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem

Could be a nod to the Myriad project? ...Or me just reading WAY to much into this.

Great read though

Now hopefully he will trim all the hubris and dead weight keeping Nokia from ever producing anything substantial in a reasonable amount time....

Again, the entire situation around Nokia is pretty Finnish (according both my dad and uncle) - once the Finns gets to the top of anything they continue believing they are best even while companies like Apple are running circles around them... again, my family is from Finland and it's good Elop is taking the step of actually telling the actual god-damn truth like a good Finn. :I

The Following User Says Thank You to jmangs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Steve Elop's 'burning platform' memo" (24 posts) has been merged into this thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem

Could be a nod to the Myriad project? ...Or me just reading WAY to much into this.

Great read though
i think you are reading too much into this, that you just passed by something "less" deep.
unfortunatly, i dont think Nokia can allow this tool to be in use by the public of the future MeeGo phone, but they could encourage Android developers to just put their game\app through a what seems to be a very simple solution and you got yourself a Meego app.
when this process is done, this app/game is NO longer an android's but meego's. so thats not much in "joining" an ecosystem, More like "riding" one
However this might be the door left open for WP7.

In regard to their current strategy, i always claimed that meego was a huge mistake. Maemo5 is a very capable system and with a 1 yr work it could have been ready for the masses.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
The memo is real, and has been confirmed by both the BBC and CNN.
But not by Nokia, not yet. So it is still a rumor. Part of it may be true, but what Elop is "saying" is Nokia is burning and sinking - jump ship save yourself.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
What a buzz!

Either Elop is really clumsy with his statements or he knows exactly what he does.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
I would have been happy if nokia kept development for Maemo going until it was properly finished...

Until this day i'll never know why they just tested the waters with the Maemo OS (and evidently the N900) instead of putting all their efforts into it, and marketing it as their successor to Symbian for the 'High-end Smartphone market'.

Many of us like the Maemo OS, i'm sure if it was properly supported, marketed and nurtured from the begining then Nokia may have had a winning platform...

Imagine a Maemo device on a N8 handset design. Or even Closed & Open Source Version's of Maemo devices being sold in the market.

All i know is that i'm due an upgrade in April with or without a Meego device released...If all these rumours are true, (dropping of Meego project etc) then Nokia is practically forcing my hand to Android

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org