Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
This is actually intentional. In my testing, I found that it was nicer to scroll to the right place, rather than have to pick the specific verse. Quite often, you want to go to the start of the chapter anyway.

We might need a "select" mode, similar to the browser's cursor mode. I'll consider something like this.

Do you have examples of translations that are available in pdb, but not in sword?
First off, excellent work. I've no longer got an N900 to play with, and so I'll have to wait until the Symbian^1 version of Qt is finished so that I could play with this. I am so looking forward to doing so. Until then comments on the above quoted items:

- as long as it supports going to a verse if the user types it, that should not be a problem for most. It might irk a few folks who are used to applications doing otherwise - that is, not acting like a book

- select mode via some kind of tap-and-hold on the screen as well as by hitting a specific key on the keyboard would work here (making the assumption that devices might not have a keyboard is good here)

- at this time, most versions are similar between them, however I think the .pdb support was requested as a means for users who already have a collect of bibles in this format to use them instead of redownloading them onto the device. In the case of most of these (Laridian and Olive Tree the exceptions), they are not locked to a specific reader. The developer who builds the S60 Compact Bible uses the same .pdb bibles, but doesn't have the Sword support.

Again, great work, and to those of you testing, can you figure out some reproducable steps so that we can add that to the post noting the test scripts? Should be similar to the last (download and install, open, install bible(s), read/search and general user interface, and additional app configurations/settings). Thanks in advance to all.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
katana works great. Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by doksng View Post
Thanks joshn53

Just installed it and it works very well.

Installation
It happened so fast that I thought it was not installed.
First time installing a deb file

Navigation

1. Scrolling is very smooth and fast
2. I like the option of typing the first letter of the Book to enter Chapter list and give the options starting with that letter
3. Works both in portrait and landscape mode
4. Noticed no option to make each verse appear on a line (new line Indent)
5. Ability to choose different versions of the bible already installed on the phone
6. You can choose the Book and Chapter but cannot choose the verse
7. You cannot select and Copy Verses

Search
The search works very well and is quite fast.
It works only when you are searching the whole bible but does not work when searching the New Testament or Old Testament only
Search results are tiny and requires a stylus

I would post my other observation as I use it.
I hope support for pdb files would be added too.
Thanks
Installation
Can the deb file be loaded on the extra testing to allow easier tracking and installation of updates

Navigation
You cannot go to the next Book when you get to the end of the Book you are reading unless you go back to Select menu.

New line indent, this would allow easier scrolling to the required verse

Search
Seems you can only search for exact words

Additional app configurations/settings

A Preference menu can be added for those that would like to change the font size, background Color. Switch from Black text on white background to white text on Black Background

Ability to view history of previous chapters and verses opened.

Bug

Was doing a search and the program crashed when an sms came in.

Had a funny Split screen shown in the picture below.
Dont know what caused it.
Attached Images

Last edited by doksng; 2010-03-18 at 07:32.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
I'm loving the way you can type a letter on the N900 keyboard when viewing a chapter and it shows you the books available. Super.

Now if we can have the verses formatted nicely with spaces then this is my regular bible app.

Excellent work! Thanks so much for it.

Also can we get the rather dubious tag on this thread removed. I don't need to mention which one.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

I want to thank Josh, I have been totally non-existent for a while (move between states, and some other major things occurring in my life right this minute). It has been his hard work that got Katana up and running and already to this point.

You have really stepped up and made this project a reality, so a big Thank you from me for taking the bull by the horns and running with it.

I hope that some time in the next couple of months, I will start having some time to actually help _you_ with it. ;-)

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2010-03-19 at 20:21.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Guys, any update on when we might be able to have spaces between verses for better readability?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i dont remember ever getting an update pushed out to download since i first downloaded it.

i like it though

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
i dont remember ever getting an update pushed out to download since i first downloaded it.

i like it though
You wont be able to get updates as it is not yet in the repositories.

I'm currently working on getting Katana uploaded to the extras-devel repository.

FWIW, I've also increased the spacing between verses by 50%, so that should be included in the version that's pushed to extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshn53 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Josh for the great work you are doing.

Noticed that if you try type on the keyboard when it the chapters menu it behaves as an exit signal and closes the application

An example is if you are using it to navigate to the book by typing the book name

"Ge" it automatically launches the chapters menu for Genesis but if you type "Gen" it crashes.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword