Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
If one has trouble with any of ths updates that comes down through this package is it as simple to uninstall as any application - or have these bug fixes touched files that would require me to re-flash to back out?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
If one has trouble with any of ths updates that comes down through this package is it as simple to uninstall as any application - or have these bug fixes touched files that would require me to re-flash to back out?
It's not as simple as uninstalling a single app, but if you are happy using apt on the command line, something like this:

Code:
# dpkg --purge community-ssu-enabler
# apt-get install osso-software-version-rxXX=1:5.2008.43-7 # + all dependencies it complains about
# /usr/bin/flash-and-reboot
(where XX is the appropriate model number for your device) should get the device back to the last official release. For some reason the trust level for the community repository still remains (not sure why, I've asked Marius about it) so it's important to also remove or disable the repository in the application manager to avoid re-applying the updates.

Flashing is always an option too of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks, appreciate the info.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
I want to thank lma for doing the hard work to get the technical part of SSUs worked out. I look forward to seeing the N810 get a second youth.

The first SSU run worked without problems on my device, very cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
figured what the hell and installed from -testing as well. worked fine even on my "odd" system.

It works without problems on my N810. Good job

I wish that Skype, Rhapssody and Gizmo removed from programs list. They are still available on repositories anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to hamunguia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
[LIST=1][*]Make sure you have not (perhaps unintentionally) removed the appropriate osso-software-version-rxXX package for your device, of if you have re-install it as SSU simply won't work without it.
It seems that I don't have this and I don't remember uninstalling it... How do I reinstall it? Doesn't appear in my application catalog.

Copying from http://wiki.maemo.org/Seamless_Softw...tware-version:

If the update doesn't show up for you at all, you may have accidentally (or intentionally) uninstalled osso-software-version-rx*4, which is required to update. You can get it back by simply running an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34, for the N800, and an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx44, for the N810. Then updating your repository list in Application manager.
You'll need to run apt-get with root privileges btw.

Since you no longer have osso-software-version installed it is quite likely that something else you have installed conflicted with it and the above may fail. In that case you may have better luck with apt-get install osso-software-version-rxXX-unlocked, but pay extra attention to what apt proposes to do before accepting it.

Originally Posted by hamunguia View Post
I wish that Skype, Rhapssody and Gizmo removed from programs list. They are still available on repositories anyway.
My personal "solution" to this is to set up a separate "Junk" application category at the bottom of the list, and move them there.

Those three are a special case, but in the more general sense it would be nice if we could do something about bug 3602 (osso-software-version-rx*4 dependencies prevent removing many unnecessary packages).

One way to deal with it would be to produce osso-software-version-rxXX-minimal packages that depend only on the essentials to boot the device and start the UI. The problem with that is that most of the non-essential apps cannot be installed via the application manager, so we would have to roll separate user-visible metapackages for them. We'll also need some user-friendly way of removing unwanted packages safely, and some way to store the unwanted info so that it persists after restoring a backup (bug 6214).

All of which is a lot of work obviously :- ) Any takers?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Installed on my good old N800 without any problem. Thanks !

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo