Active Topics

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I don't see how you will not be patent trolled (sued) by Microhard if you ship out your product with ACL included or even easily available as an app. They will say you are making in essence an android phone and still violating their lame inapplicable patents that are just an excuse to sue other mobile companies because they are losers in the mobile market. I don't want to see Microsoft put a hole in your dingy.

Microsoft claims collecting royalties on 70% of all Android devices

The patents they used to sue B&N
Here or here

Detailed breakdown of how MS basically bullied android manufacturers with their patent trolling using lame patents

ignore him ^
M$ would just waste their time suing the new MeeGo xD at this point in time MeeGo is no threat for them, tbh it would be better for them if MeeGo would kick off well get fame for them to sue later on

@jamqpa so what about the news in Finland are peple getting behind the whole things excited to have a Finish to finally make true Finish phones ???

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2012-07-10 at 08:01.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Remember that Mer is a core, and a vendor (or multiple) adds UI and hardware adaptation(s) on top. Mer's customers are vendors, not end-users, so you'd have to learn how to interact on that level as well.

Mer is a multiple-vendor core, ie, people work together to share their load of handling mobile Linux core work.
I think the Mer project, if they want to stay vendor-focused, will not be the focus of a large community. You will have engineers from vendors working on the parts of the project that concern them, and hopefully contributing back, but it will be fairly dry and business-like.

I'm not sure the Jolla community, if there is to be one, should form around Mer. The communities that form around open consumer products look very different from what was happening on meego.com.

I agree with many of the other contributers to this thread: TMO in its pre-MeeGo heyday was an amazing thing to behold. For every troll it seems there was some hacker genius giving back to the community. (Not to say that the spirit has gone from TMO, but it is much muted in these sunset days)

Oh and

Originally Posted by lma View Post
... if they can find the courage to respect my freedom (no aegis or other tivoization rubish) and privacy I'll probably give them money ...
WHAT HE SAID.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think the Mer project, if they want to stay vendor-focused, will not be the focus of a large community. You will have engineers from vendors working on the parts of the project that concern them, and hopefully contributing back, but it will be fairly dry and business-like.

I'm not sure the Jolla community, if there is to be one, should form around Mer. The communities that form around open consumer products look very different from what was happening on meego.com.
Agreed, but at least it's possible to properly participate on this level now. Even the stuff in base is areas that people end up touching somehow. Mer's vendor focused, yes, but honestly, there's not terribly much difference between what a commercial contributor and a passionate hobbyist is doing, in practical output.

But as I said, stay tuned for more information.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by daehoidar View Post
I dearly hope that the Harmattan UX gets a second life through Jolla. Surely a licensing option is possible.

Nokia has nothing to lose from licensing Harmattan Swipe UX to Jolla now that Meltemi is kaput. What a waste it would be if Nokia hoards the UX, never to be seen in a commercial device again.
Have you bothered to read this thread?

No, it will not have Harmattan SwipeUI cause its Nokia properiaty. It may have SOME of the ideas taken from WebOS and Harmattan. (Swipe up to close apps for example)

but dont expect eventview etc...

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
@jamqpa so what about the news in Finland are peple getting behind the whole things excited to have a Finish to finally make true Finish phones ???
In my opinion Jolla has received very positive reception and feedback from Finnish people when you look on the newspapers, forums, internet articles and their comment sections. Of course, there are some people who are saying that this is not even worth trying but overall reception has been very positive and admiring.

People wants to give Jolla credit for trying. Also I think Finnish people are a bit frustrated about Nokias current situation and the decision they made year and a half ago which is not turning out as well as predicted.

People wants to see the "what if they would have chosen differently" -case and now it is possible with Finnish company with the same people behind Nokia N9 and MeeGo (Harmattan), which also received very positive reception when it was launched.

I'm also very happy and excited about this Love my N9! But, we'll see.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I see alot people want to donate to Jolla.

Personally I dont think Jolla is needing money atm.

What they need is Qt and MER and a comunitty who drives those projects forward.

What scares me a bit is Qt? Whom is paying for qt-projects.org site now when Nokia seems to pull out the plug? Whom will take over the engineers working with QT inside Nokia after latest cut?

Are there any plan to restart Trolltech?

Yes I know there i plenty of companys using Qt, for example RIM. But RIM seems to be doomed very soon to... So Qt really needs to have some backup...

Without QT no Jolla, so we have to start contribute to QT5 IMHO...

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You will have engineers from vendors working on the parts of the project that concern them, and hopefully contributing back, but it will be fairly dry and business-like.
That's not to say engineers don't have fun, because I certainly do (both on #qt-labs, and #mer for instance). But the geekier you get, the more strange the sense of humour becomes, I guess. I'd still certainly not call it exactly dry :-)

07/10@09:48:47 <#mer/lbt> Stskeeps: fyi ... the problem is that the QML shaders are not appearing - I get a moving pink rectangle
07/10@09:49:07 <#mer/Stskeeps> lbt: check .xsession-errors
07/10@09:49:48 <#mer/w00t> lbt: sounds like a feature to me.. :-P
07/10@09:49:51 <#mer/w00t> the world needs more pink

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Yes I know there i plenty of companys using Qt, for example RIM. But RIM seems to be doomed very soon to... So Qt really needs to have some backup...
Just like the banks were too big to fail, Qt is "too good to die". You might not see a corporate overlord the size of Nokia again, but I'd say that for many reasons, that might not be a bad thing.

There are a large number of people (and that number is growing) who are not paid by Nokia to work on Qt (disclaimer: I'm one of them). If you look at qtbase (where those numbers are the highest), then Nokia contributions account for around 60% of the total activity. This isn't so much because Qt development has been slowing down (though it has lately, with the push towards 5.0 release), but because a lot of other people have been pushing their work forward.

Take a look at the other stats on http://www.macieira.org/blog/qt-stats/.

tl;dr, don't worry, everything will be fine, thanks to Jolla, and other companies/individuals interested in the future of Qt. But by all means, come contribute.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
I continue translating Finnish articles

This one is from IT-viikko (roughly translated IT-week). There is interesting part about the patents and that Nokia might have given some patents for people leaving the company..

http://www.itviikko.fi/teknologia/20...us/201233217/7

Does Jolla have a solution to shortage of applications? "An interesting response"

Jolla, founded onto the ruins of Nokias MeeGo, is not saying how the company will get enough applications for their upcoming Jolla-device and operating system. CEO of Jolla says in an interview, made by IT-week, that the company is considering a break from the formerly known device categories.

Mobile phone manufacturer Jollas CEO Jussi Hurmola remains silent about the ways how their MeeGo based operating system will compete with the amount of applications against Googles Android and Apples iOS.

"It is quite clear that we need to have the answer to this question. And we have one but it is, however, that much interesting that we will tell it upon the release", Hurmola smiles secretly.

Hurmola does not want to comment on whether the applications built for Nokia N9 will work with their Jolla-devices or is Jolla trying to create completely new ecosystem of their own.

The amount and the quality of the Third-party applications determine the extent the popularity of smart phones. For example, Nokia and Microsoft are stepping up the Microsoft Phone in application development with millions of euros.

Jolla said this weekend that it will publish this year a new MeeGo-based Smartphone. The company is based on the former people of nokia, who worked with Nokia's likely to remain as the only MeeGo phone, the Nokia N9.

According to Hurmola, the negotiations with manufacturers have gone a long way. Jolla is going to tell soon who is the manufacturer for their devices.

"I want to thank Nokia"

Jolla is one of the companys, which are founded within Nokias Bridge -program. Bridge -program is targeted to people who have been or are at risk of getting fired.

"I would definitely like to thank Nokia. Nokia and Jolla is in a good and open relationship", Hurmola says.

"Jolla is founded inside the Nokias Bridge -programs incubator. At that time we presented our strategy and received approval to it from Nokia", he continues.

Nokia has also shared their patents for people leaving the company, so that they could ground new business activity with the patents.

At the time, Jolla has approximately 50 workers in Tampere and in Helsinki. Hurmiola believes that at the end of year privately financed Jolla will employ over 100 people.

"We are considering a break with"

In addition with the first phone coming later this year, Jolla is already planning for the next following phone models. Hurmola says that Jolla "is listening very strongly the signals coming from the market."

"We are considering a serious break with from the so-called smartphones. But first we however will do our phone that is released later this year", he says.

"My own opinion is that the categories of devices are changing every year. Also the amount of smartphone users is increasing all the time. It is interesting to see what kind of new device categories there will be in the market in near future"

Bernd Wachter ‎has been answering questions on FB:

"We're basing on Mer/Nemo, which already works on N9, N900 and other hardware. Community efforts to port this base to other phones are ongoing."

Me: "Do Nokia have a patent on Swipe-type UI or can you implement that too?"
Bernd Wachter: "I can't comment on anything UI related at this point, you'll have to wait for official statements when we're closer to launching the device, sorry."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3203...1128597976611/

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla