Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
It can make phone calls... so I don't need to tether it... so I can ditch my phone if I wanted to.... Cool Beans!

Also check the comparison between 8.9 vs 10 vs iPad2. Seems like the only thing the iPad2 has going for it is the ~70,000 iPad Apps and the low-quality (250,000) iPhone Apps. http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-ipad-...alaxy-tab-8-9/

It's a well-rounded tablet, if it comes in a Tegra2 package at afforable pricing I'm seriously considering it. And better yet if another model comes out with an active digitizer (N-Trig) and a transformer dock then "f*ck yea"
Yes, the calling functionality is great, as well as the BT handset that I've been pining for in the early days of this thread: the Samsung Stick. Asus also has a similar handset with the MeMO pad. Baseically it's like a BT headset that you hold in your hand. It acts as a speaker and a mic for the tablet unit that sits in your bag.

Now, the samsung stick is quite thin like a pen, and may not have a digital readout, or the ability to place calls easily. The MeMO handset is larger, like a small featurephone, and has a digital display that can be used as a remote for the MeMO and possibly to make calls as well as receive them.

I think Asus' solution with the larger handset is the superior one based on what I've seen, but either seem adequate.

For those that use their phones mainly for calling when out and about, these devices eliminate the need for a phone. The Tab 8.9 should be small enough to quickly whip out and use in transit, and tuck back into your man-bag/purse, providing a full tablet experience on the go. While not as versatile as a phone, it offers a much more comfortable sized screen. Best of all, you don't have to give up the 'phone' functionality at all, with the handset accessory.

Win.

Not for everyone, as many use their phones incessantly while out, but it's great for those that use their phones mainly for calling and carry a bag.

Yes, if the Tab 8.9 had a digital pen accessory, it would be killer, but maybe next revision. For the time being you can always buy a capacitive stylus -- but be careful to hover that hand over the screen whilst writing to avoid unwanted input, and writing in huge kindergarten sized letters.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It seems that Walt Mossberg was trying to pick a fight with Eric Schmidt at the D9 conference... and failed miserably (AFAICT):

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/l...akes-the-stage

Eric is a very concise and good speaker, and fended off the sloppy attack with finesse.

New moterola devices on the horizon!

The Tracy XL watch-phone:

The Pearl handset:

The Zaha Phone (and a corner of the Xoom2)

I like the *idea* of a watch-phone, but it can't be comfortable holding your wrist to your ear for extended periods. It may be ok for short calls if you use the arm adjacent to the receiving ear. Plus the watch looks quite slick.

The Xoom 2 is rumored to be quite thin, looking to compete with the new wave of tablets, especially Galaxy Tab, no doubt. But I wonder if Motorola is hard at work integrating the T30 (Tegra 3) into its upcoming device? I love this quick iteration...

The alternate Galaxy S II (i9101) for developing (?) markets has surfaced:

http://www.gsmarena.com/specs_of_a_c...-news-2717.php

Notable changes are to performance:
SoC: OMAP 4430
GPU: SGX540

With these lower performance parts, it's likely that this device will be positioned at a lower price for less affluent markets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It seems that the Galaxy SII's SAMOLED+ display has uneven colour across the surface:

* bottom flipped to show colour difference.

... the one mar to this otherwise perfect display.

Of course, this is hardly a major concern... or is it?! Let us know if this is a deal-breaker.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It seems that the Galaxy SII's SAMOLED+ display has uneven colour across the surface:

* bottom flipped to show colour difference.

... the one mar to this otherwise perfect display.

Of course, this is hardly a major concern... or is it?! Let us know if this is a deal-breaker.
I have white blobs on my N900 which are not a major concern to me. Kind of sad to see this though. Slightly confused too. It looks almost like backlight bleeding but of course this is impossible on an SAMOLED since there is no backlight . What is the true colour of that page meant to be? grey? This may be possible to fix via firmware perhaps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I have white blobs on my N900 which are not a major concern to me. Kind of sad to see this though. Slightly confused too. It looks almost like backlight bleeding but of course this is impossible on an SAMOLED since there is no backlight . What is the true colour of that page meant to be? grey? This may be possible to fix via firmware perhaps.
Indeed. It is a bit sad, but I still think SAMOLED+ is miles ahead of the competition in quality. Seeing a SAMOLED first hand is something: it really is stunning.

And this is a minor concern in a very specific use case: all all dark-grey background.

I'm guessing it may be a slight variation in the voltages applied to the various pixels as they are applied from right to left (or vice versa). I bet SAMOLED++ (or the next one) will yet again one-up it's predecessor.

In a few iterations SAMOLED has almost all but put LCD to shame. Just resolution remains, and perhaps this new uneven colour problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
FYI for everyone here, we had a tornado rip through my city today (Springfield, MA). It was INCREDIBLE. But it's all good here in my household. We suffered one fallen potted plant, some dirtied cars and a major power outage that might last us days (because there are a LOOOT of fallen power lines, trees, etc. around us).

But through it all, even with the power outage, I was able to fire up my Samsung Galaxy Tab to watch LIVE coverage on the local TV station's website using live FLASH video (nobody seems to support anything the Nokias or even Apple iP's would handle) all while keeping my phone's power usage to a minimum just for making emergency calls to family and friends. It's now well past midnight and I still have PLENTY of battery power on BOTH devices PLUS using my Dell mini9 (via Android tethering... hee!) to get over here and continue to entertain myself by berating the Nokia fanboys about Nokia's sad profit warnings. Seperately, I was able to also watch over-the-air news and programs off an ATI TV Wonder high-def digital TV USB stick on my mini, too. THAT took up a lot of battery power, though.. but I didn't do it long. The Androids were FAR more efficient with their power and charged up far more quickly in the car between picking people up during the storms after the tornado. What a day!

Man, I love my Androids more and more.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
FYI for everyone here, we had a tornado rip through my city today (Springfield, MA). It was INCREDIBLE. But it's all good here in my household. We suffered one fallen potted plant, some dirtied cars and a major power outage that might last us days (because there are a LOOOT of fallen power lines, trees, etc. around us).

But through it all, even with the power outage, I was able to fire up my Samsung Galaxy Tab to watch LIVE coverage on the local TV station's website using live FLASH video (nobody seems to support anything the Nokias or even Apple iP's would handle) all while keeping my phone's power usage to a minimum just for making emergency calls to family and friends. It's now well past midnight and I still have PLENTY of battery power on BOTH devices PLUS using my Dell mini9 (via Android tethering... hee!) to get over here and continue to entertain myself by berating the Nokia fanboys about Nokia's sad profit warnings. Seperately, I was able to also watch over-the-air news and programs off an ATI TV Wonder high-def digital TV USB stick on my mini, too. THAT took up a lot of battery power, though.. but I didn't do it long. The Androids were FAR more efficient with their power and charged up far more quickly in the car between picking people up during the storms after the tornado. What a day!

Man, I love my Androids more and more.

I'm so glad that you are ok as well as your home (and I'm assuming: family).. That must be pretty unnerving event.

Glad to hear that your Android's kept up the fight! My dell laptop would have gone a whole 2 hours before giving up the ghost

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is heading to NYC Best buy on June 8th!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/02/s...tion-wide-on-j

It will be available in other places in the US on June 17th

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy