VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-y5wzmK4E

Looks good! Just like the real thing!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant

It seems that the mysterious Asus product is called the Padfone:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/a...ocking-tablet/

I don't mind the name, but if name 'Eee' has set any precedent, I wouldn't count on the name taking away sales potential that much.

I rather like it! How wonderful would it be if there was a keyboard dock for this as well? Drool worthy!

It seems as if Microsofts anti-free Android lawsuit campaign has forced HTC to concede $5 of every android handset sales to MS!

Here's a rant (I haven't read it yet):

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...tc-sells-rant/

My first impression is that this is *low* for MS, and if they busy themselves with trying to bully the competition into giving them money rather than actually innovating, then I wish them a swift and direct path to the bottom.

Again, this is a viewpoint based on a position of ignorance, so even I take it with a cup-or-two of salt.

Sammy isn't giving up it's entry-level position. An upcoming phone has quite good specs:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...le-new-meaning

- 480x320 display
- 1GHz processor
- 3.2M rear camera
- Android 2.3.3

Not crazy, but certainly good if the price is right. Users will have an easy time choosing something like this over a feature phone if they are competing in the same market.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It seems as if Microsofts anti-free Android lawsuit campaign has forced HTC to concede $5 of every android handset sales to MS!

Here's a rant (I haven't read it yet):

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...tc-sells-rant/

My first impression is that this is *low* for MS, and if they busy themselves with trying to bully the competition into giving them money rather than actually innovating, then I wish them a swift and direct path to the bottom.

Again, this is a viewpoint based on a position of ignorance, so even I take it with a cup-or-two of salt.
OMG I loooove that picture. >=)

But this is nothing new for MS. They're just doing the same old "every PC sold MUST pay MS, because PC's sold without an OS are CLEARLY being used to pirate our OS" mentality. They're just extending it to the handset market by effectively saying that there's GOT to be something they're stealing. They won't say WHAT with specificity but they MUST be! I wish HTC didn't just roll over so easily. Maybe, should Google get involved?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-05-27 at 21:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
OMG I loooove that picture. >=)

But this is nothing new for MS. They're just doing the same old "every PC sold MUST pay MS, because PC's sold without an OS are CLEARLY being used to pirate our OS" mentality. They're just extending it to the handset market by effectively saying that there's GOT to be something they're stealing. They won't say WHAT with specificity but they MUST be! I wish HTC didn't just roll over so easily. Maybe, should Google get involved?
Haha, it's great, right? I thought it was hilarious, and strangely fitting with my perspective of his character.

I'm not sure what Google should do, but whatever they're doing, it's working. Android continues to rise, and the competitors are getting desperate to curb the rate of growth. MS suing Android partners, and Apple doing the same may have competitors worried, but even if you strategically plan for this, I'd take hundreds-of-millions in profit over tens-of-millions duking it out in a lawsuit... I know nothing of the legal process, so again, ignorance.

I heard that recently bought up a company with a bunch of patents, speculated to offensively protect themselves....

MS forcing the hand of HTC may in some small part alienate HTC as a partner. If MS was taking liberties to take money from my pocket, I would have a hard time trying to promote something that would help them... especially if it sucks...

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
MS forcing the hand of HTC may in some small part alienate HTC as a partner. If MS was taking liberties to take money from my pocket, I would have a hard time trying to promote something that would help them... especially if it sucks...
That's what I considered, too. Once I read about their unlocking the bootloader, I was happy. But then I was reminded about this "patent" settlement with Microsoft--which I already new about, but forgot. Now, I have to mull whether or not to buy HTC again and I'm not sure I want to, again.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tim Bray, in his increasingly simple blog, boldly states that tablets are meant to be held in portrait orientation:

Tall and Narrow
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20.../Portrait-Mode

There's quite a lively debate on this.

What do you think is more natural? Portrait or landscape?

The reason I ask, is because I remember when Nokia was refusing portrait orientation on the N900. This annoyed a few folk at the time, but has important usability/design implications. Now, a tablet is larger than a phone, but it is interesting to consider.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-05-27 at 23:00.

About as pointed a conversation, that, as web pages designed to be tall.. or wide. :P
How about you write your applications so that they can be oriented to ANY resolution/orientation?
...AND stop worrying about the "right" way to hold it. Hear that, Steve? There should be NO WRONG WAY TO HOLD IT.

Ahem. Sorry.. I think I began to divert into a different, but similar conversation, there.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy