Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I just did some research on texture formats, and it seems that Mali (up to 400) supports only ETC1, and thus does not store transparent compressed textures.

I actually *like* this. Yes, lacking transparent textures is an arguably important feature that is missing, but I like that Mali is complying with the standard, and thus waging a war against fragmentation. A game targeted for Mali will work on other devices without much fuss.

Of course, you can still have transparencies in Mali, but these would be implemented through the shader that you use. Either you designate a flat transparency over the texture, store an alpha graphic that represents the transparency, use a procedural function for transparency, designate a color for transparency and remove in shader, use no compression, etc.

Not terribly difficult to work around.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Just a quick reminder. There is an effort to port MeeGo to the Galaxy Tab 7 by none other than the infamous lardman!

You can follow progress at this thread and lend your support:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=2520&page=5

The Galaxy Tab 7 is a great piece of hardware, and MeeGo would make an interesting alternative to Android, and open the door to dual-boot, or exotic features like the ability to execute Android APKs directly in the OS!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Yes me too, ADK was one of the reasons I placed an order for the HTC Sensation today
It appears the HTC Sensation does not have USB OTG and is unable to use the Open Accessory Mode, so the ADK would be incompatible. I switched my order to the Galaxy S2. I'll miss Sense Ui and the notification led, which the SG2 doesnt have, but on the other hand I can root the SG2 - the HTC uses signed bootloaders which stop it being rooted.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-05-22 at 22:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
It appears the HTC Sensation does not have USB OTG and is unable to use the Open Accessory Mode, so the ADK would be incompatible. I switched my order to the Galaxy S2. I'll miss Sense Ui and the notification led, which the SG2 doesnt have, but on the other hand I can root the SG2 - the HTC uses signed bootloaders which stop it being rooted.
That's too bad. The sensation has nice hardware, but it seems to be lacking certain vital features.

Sense UI will certainly be a drawback, as it's one of the prettier ones (IMO), and it seems to have gotten better with age, though there is hope that it will be ported to the Galaxy S II. This has been done for prior versions of sense and while I wouldn't hold my breath, it is possible.

The SGS SAMOLED screen is actually interesting. Because only the pixels that are on consume power, it can be used to display notification messages right on the screen (actually black pixels consume a very small amount of power). Check out this project:
NoLED: http://www.devasque.com/noled/change.php
MARKET LINK: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.led.notify

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-05-23 at 00:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The Motorola Atrix 4G only supports upto 720p HD video recording...by default.

Some developers have changed the apk and it can now shoot in full 1080p HD!

This reminds me of the hack that increased the Nexus One's 800x480@24fps to 720p@30fps, which then allowed other devices with the 1-gen Snapdragon processor to increase its video recording capabilities. I wonder if we will see the same thing with the Tegra2 platform?

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...puscamera-app/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1079760

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
What is Asus up to?

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...-pad-or-phone/

This looks GOOD whatever it is. It looks like it could be a tablet. One thing is certain, Asus is certainly stepping up its quality quite a bit!

Any guesses?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
What is Asus up to?

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...-pad-or-phone/

This looks GOOD whatever it is. It looks like it could be a tablet. One thing is certain, Asus is certainly stepping up its quality quite a bit!

Any guesses?
It looks sexually enticing.

What? Just saying!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

What? Just saying!
I don't judge...

I've been a fan of Asus for a long time on PCs. For a 'bargain' manufacturer, they mostly get it right, with the exception of a few poor design choices here and there, and absolutely awful screens.

Their tablet lineup is looking mighty serious, and a leading contender for low-end champion. In fact, at the price that they're targeting, the quality seems surprisingly not far from Apple/Samsung, increasing their value points more than a few.

Something tells me that Asus will keep updates happening fast and keep their systems customizable. They seem more interested than pushing hardware (and some bloatware), than highly customizing UIs. In this way, Asus could alse be king for those that value fast updates.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post

What? Just saying!
Yeah, pretty sleek

It has to (i believe) be one of two things:

1) A very slim smartphone like the GSII/SE Arc etc which slots into the back of a (8"+) tablet. And actually the tablet is just a display + touchscreen + batteries .... sort of like the Transformer-dock or Moto-lap-dock.
Obviously the phone is running Honeycombe 3.0 which becomes activated automatically when the phone is "docked-in" ... and reverts to the Gingerbread UI when you remove it.

2) What if its just a 7" or a 8.9" tablet that does have a microphone, an earpiece and the proper voice dialing (GSM/CDMA) frequencies ......basically an oversized phone.

... Which type of device would you guys prefer #1 or #2?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Yeah, pretty sleek

It has to (i believe) be one of two things:

1) A very slim smartphone like the GSII/SE Arc etc which slots into the back of a (8"+) tablet. And actually the tablet is just a display + touchscreen + batteries .... sort of like the Transformer-dock or Moto-lap-dock.
Obviously the phone is running Honeycombe 3.0 which becomes activated automatically when the phone is "docked-in" ... and reverts to the Gingerbread UI when you remove it.

2) What if its just a 7" or a 8.9" tablet that does have a microphone, an earpiece and the proper voice dialing (GSM/CDMA) frequencies ......basically an oversized phone.

... Which type of device would you guys prefer #1 or #2?
I don't mind either one... just as long as it's not a digital photo frame.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy