Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Had fun using the jolla phone today. Phone calls work fine, I used it as wifi hot spot (internet sharing). Funny, when on tmobile, you have to pay $5 a month extra to enable this feature on my Note Edge. Go figure. I also like the multitasking on the Jolla phone. The fact that once you close an app, or, put it in background, immediately takes to you to the screen with all running apps allows you to switch between running apps more efficiently than on my android phone . For example, I was looking at map of ETH campus, got a call, had to check a message, then email. and then went back to the map to find my way without a hitch. Very nice.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@mscion,

Glad for you.

Yesterday I had the opposite experience. I don't like my Jolla anymore as I cannot trust it.

I had an alarm coming up and I could not stop it because both the touch screen and the power button decided to strike. Had to take the battery out.

Then I also noticed that the vibrator doesn't work (reliably) anymore. Sometimes it vibrates a bit (e.g. after I hit the phone against a table or drop it hard on the sofa) but then it's quiet again. Makes Jolla "experience" quite miserable, notwithstanding the loss of my "meeting" ambiance (silent, vibrate only).

As of today my Jolla is, unfortunately, a toy. I had even managed to reliably synchronize contacts and calendar with Owncloud, but still continues to be a toy, hardware- and software-wise.

I have to decide if I go back to Maemo (which was OK but then you can forget about caldav and cardav, which I have begun to rely on) or buy some crappy Android phone. But I don't think I'm yet desperate enough to take the latter.

Where (when!) is my Neo900?!!!!!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@mscion,

Glad for you.

Yesterday I had the opposite experience. I don't like my Jolla anymore as I cannot trust it.

I had an alarm coming up and I could not stop it because both the touch screen and the power button decided to strike. Had to take the battery out.

Then I also noticed that the vibrator doesn't work (reliably) anymore. Sometimes it vibrates a bit (e.g. after I hit the phone against a table or drop it hard on the sofa) but then it's quiet again. Makes Jolla "experience" quite miserable, notwithstanding the loss of my "meeting" ambiance (silent, vibrate only).
I recongnized the problem with the vibrator a few days ago on my phone too. But there seems to be an easy solution:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...ation-problem/

I ordered the vibrators from ebay. If you are interested I can send you one when they arrive (there are 5 in the box). Unfortunately delivery will be soon (means in December). Just let me know.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Funny, when on tmobile, you have to pay $5 a month extra to enable this feature on my Note Edge. Go figure..
That's probably because tmobile "owns" your phone somehow, you can always root it and enable that feature. Glad you liked Jolla/Sailfish though, I think your comments describe exactly how I felt with the N9 and how the Jolla didn't disappoint in that respect.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I ordered the vibrators from ebay. If you are interested I can send you one when they arrive (there are 5 in the box). Unfortunately delivery will be soon (means in December). Just let me know.
Hopefully the message will be read in the appropriate context

Thanks! I could give it a try.
I'll send you a PM with my address. You can give me your IBAN and I'll transfer you the price + shipping.

Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Regarding vibrators and other stuff, I had a case with the speaker. Rather than replacing it, I just opened the case, took the speaker out, cleaned the contacts and bent the springs out to make them more "springy". No problems since then. It was about a year ago.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

I'll send you a PM with my address. You can give me your IBAN and I'll transfer you the price + shipping.

Cheers.
Your address is enough. The vibrators are ridiculously cheap (and I don't need 5 of them). I also live in Germany so I think i can afford a stamp for a letter to you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Regarding vibrators and other stuff, I had a case with the speaker. Rather than replacing it, I just opened the case, took the speaker out, cleaned the contacts and bent the springs out to make them more "springy". No problems since then. It was about a year ago.
Already tried that, with no success.

Cheers.
Hi Reinob,

I don't know if my private messages reached you. I've sent two of them but none are shown in the sent folder. Therefore I write you also here:

The vibrator motors were delivered earlier than expected. They were in my letterbox today. After I switched the vibrator of my Jolla, vibration works again.

I didn't cut anything of the rubber coating like it is described on TJC. So you can try that just the way you like.

I send you the promised vibrator tomorrow.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, I'm back in the US. I enjoyed using my Jolla phone while in Zurich. One thing. I actually travelled to Strasbourg in the middle of the week. Those roaming charges kill you! As soon as I entered France, Swiss com automatically charged about 10fr for 10mb of data (a data travel pack). Ouch! What do folks in Europe do to avoid roaming charges? Do people use phones with 2 sim card tray? Anyways, when I got back to the US, I thought I'd turn the phone back on and, again, I was charged 10fr for the data travel pack! Doh! To make matters worse, only 2G works in the US. At least at that rate it might last a little while. Actually, maemo.org does appear on the screen rather quickly even with 2G. I won't try the XDA site. The ads alone will suck up all my data!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience