Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I waited 6 month and bought it for half of the release price. Still, the device is not premium and pretty slow. To me n9 has never been a premium phone and I think the initial price was insane.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-02-15 at 09:55.

I never said the device was premium, just the price was.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I don't even want a "high end" SoC, if that means it overheats very fast when doing some intensive stuff so it has to slow down again. The multi-core craze is also something I don't understand. There are still very few application which benefit from it. Dual core is nice tho, that would certainly help with fluidity of the GUI.

An ~1.5GHz dual core A15 or even A9 class CPU would do just fine for SailfishOS. Qt5 is here, with QML now based on the V8 Javascript engine and Webkit 2, which are much faster than what our N9 is equipped with. For the heavy lifting ther's still Qt, which is native compiled code which should be faster than Java on Android.

So yes, the SoC might be slower, but the platform might be able to compensate that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Sailfish is using QT 4.8.x

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I don't even want a "high end" SoC, if that means it overheats very fast when doing some intensive stuff so it has to slow down again. .
That's not what the "high-end" SoCs are about, current market leaders perform extremely well, & needn't compromise on efficiency in the process.
Still, as I said, they can make amends in other areas, but if they don't, well...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-16 at 14:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I'm not expecting miracles from Jolla, but i will demand for similar SoC than the current competition.
People should not just accept whatever they throw out there and say the software will handle the rest. If not from the start, it will later on be a limiting bottleneck.

There's just simply no drawbacks on the current ~28nm SoCs and the next wave that includes Qualcomm 800 Series and 600 SoCs seem to only improve, a lot. Also, yes i will demand LTE from my ~600 euros smartphone as i use LTE already on my phone.

We might like the Jolla guys for various of reasons but we if anybody should demand the best from them.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-04-17 at 22:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
About the 1st Jolla smartphone :
- the SoC/processor is such that the drivers should be available to Jolla, and, if possible with the source code, so Mer/Sailfish OS can be optimized;
- the majority of smartphones nowadays have SoC's with dual core Cortex A9, which are a lot faster (2x-3x) than the TI OMAP 3630 (1 Cortex A8) of Nokia N9. So even the "worst case" would be a huge improvement with respect to Nokia N9 from 2011;
- also very important is the RAM, at least 1GB like Nokia N9, so Linux (Mer/Sailfish OS) can run the full multitasking at ease;
- Android smartphones needs powerful hardware to compensate for Java/Dalvik bloatware. While iPhone (e.g., 4S has only 512MB of RAM) has less powerful hardware but it is faster than Android smartphones. So what counts is the hardware & mobile OS combination;
- I bet on a Jolla smartphone with fast dual core Cortex A9, GPU Mail-400, 1-2GB of RAM and 4.3" screen. I hope they release a 2nd Jolla smartphone with a full qwerty keyboard (like Nokia N950/E7).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-15 at 15:41. Reason: Typo fixed

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
^They might aswell just re-sell the SGS2 with a Jolla sticker on top of the SAMSUNG Logo's and just boot their OS into the NAND.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
^They might aswell just re-sell the SGS2 with a Jolla sticker on top of the SAMSUNG Logo's and just boot their OS into the NAND.
Maybe Jolla isn't aiming for success yet? They probably intend this as a first generation 'HEY! Kum Looks @ us! Weer 4 reelz! LOLOL!' before they move on to their more serious attempt, 'Ahem.. yes, sorry about that. We've cleaned up. No, really.. this time we're serious! You can trust us!" second gen attempt.

There used to be a company named Leading Edge back in the 90's that made surprisingly good computers at the time.

Maybe Jolla could change their name to Trailing Edge and make surprisingly low-end hardware for their time?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Why so negative? It's the time for joy, we now have a decent alternative to Harmattan, maybe soon Maemo!

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open