Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Originally Posted by briest View Post

Also, I have tried to suggest a change in Polish translation; I have no transifex experience, so I hope nothing got destroyed in the process It was "Exit" -- translated as "Wyjście", but in road context it would be "Zjazd" or "Wyjazd".

Thanks for fixing, It was my mistake.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by briest View Post
There was a small change for those wanting to add own map sources (not documented as for now): there's a new line needed in definition, assigning the source to profile:

"profiles": ["mixed", "online"],
Issues and pull requests are welcome!

PS: Documentation fixed. Wasn't aware that there are users tuning and adding their map sources.

Last edited by rinigus; 2018-12-16 at 21:34.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
(saw it again - in german c't but knew before): What about Open Location Code coordinates? It is like What3Words but free code: https://github.com/google/open-locat.../master/python - it is also implemented in OSMAnd+...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
(saw it again - in german c't but knew before): What about Open Location Code coordinates? It is like What3Words but free code: https://github.com/google/open-locat.../master/python - it is also implemented in OSMAnd+...
shouldn't a problem to add support for it, if we talk about global version (not combined with locality). not very sure where to hook it in gui, but that may become clearer after ux reorganization. Feel free to file as an issue

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Looks like Pure Maps is gaining popularity and more users, which is great. But, as it was anticipated by @otsaloma while he setup his own map server, we are getting close to the free tier limit at Mapbox (50K tiles). Looks like we are going to hit over 45K this month, with 42K by Sailfish users and 3K+ by Flathub users. At the same time, starting from the middle of December, the usage has been about 1.9K tiles per day. So, by the looks of it, we will hit the limits in January.

I have prepared for such increased usage by providing GUI for registration of personal Mapbox GL keys (support released already). Now its time for active users to register at Mapbox and enter the private key for it in Pure Maps settings.

Ideally, we could keep current arrangement where new users can test the maps without any registration. But that does require the users to be organized and offload their usage from the main pool.

Mapbox is the only problematic case so far. If you prefer to use online services but don't want to register, you could also switch to HERE tiles. Current HERE tiles are focused on traffic, but its easy to add more tile types if there is a demand for it.

Please note that as soon as I see that we are getting too close to the limits, I am planning to invalidate the key for Mapbox which will probably cause issues on startup for online profile users with Mapbox map provider.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
While creating an access token at https://www.mapbox.com/account/, do we just keep the standard settings?
So all public scopes checked but non of the Secret Scopes?

Edit, oh, and how to check if it works?

Last edited by mosen; 2018-12-27 at 13:43.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
While creating an access token at https://www.mapbox.com/account/, do we just keep the standard settings?
So all public scopes checked but non of the Secret Scopes?

Edit, oh, and how to check if it works?
That's has been a while for me when I made the account.

On my account page, I can see:

Plan: pay as you go

Token settings: only public scopes.

To check that it works, close Pure Maps and start it again. Check that you have key in Preferences and you could zoom into the parts which you haven't check out before. Next day you should see stats of your usage in Mapbox page under https://www.mapbox.com/account/statistics . Stats gets updated with some delay.

Thank you very much for taking your time!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Thank you very much for taking your time!
My pleasure.
I just came back 300km from my parents routing with pure maps and am astound how much battery is left.
Forgot my car charger and went down from 100% to just above 60% only. With screen on and brightness set to minimum all 2.5 hours. Bravo!

Also, according to the german saying "zwischen den Jahren" (The days after Christmas until New Year, meaning "between the years") i am currently in a non existing time construct were we put all and non unfinished work from current/past year and hope it finishes itself. So, it literally did not take any conventional time at all to check api keys

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Creating an API key at Mapbox.com and inserting it into Puremaps on two devices worked fine: No apparent difference after restarting Puremaps.
Now I wonder what Mapbox (the company) will think and might do, if they see a significant number of new "developers" creating accounts. Well, IMHO putting their terms of use to the test in practice is the only way to know for sure.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Creating an API key at Mapbox.com and inserting it into Puremaps on two devices worked fine: No apparent difference after restarting Puremaps.
Now I wonder what Mapbox (the company) will think and might do, if they see a significant number of new "developers" creating accounts. Well, IMHO putting their terms of use to the test in practice is the only way to know for sure.
I was in contact with Mapbox Sales in the period from 2 - 12 Sept 2018 regarding it. I am not going to paste the thread over here since I haven't asked for permission to do so. If you have any problems with such registration, please contact me and I will be able to provide the references to the discussion, as needed.

In short, Mapbox suggested to ask each user to register as a developer and stated that it is compatible with their terms of use for Open Source projects. For commercial projects, this is not the case.

In the email exchange I was asking if they have means to charge each user for the usage, making it simple for developers to use their services and for Mapbox, which invests a lot of development resources into the projects, to benefit from their work. So far, there is no solution like it available. But maybe it will change and they could implement it. If we have lots of users registered, it may be a step towards such initiative. In my eyes, it would be only fair and, I can only hope, make it more sustainable for running such business, as Mapbox does.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: