Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The only conclusion I can make from this is that those who claim less than 30% drain a day can achieve that only by keeping it standby all the time and not actively using it at all.
Very likely. To get some personal take on this, I just created a cronscript to log my battery level every hour. Now it is just past 7 AM and the charge is 96%. (1.5h since I removed it from charger and left for work...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
If you disable IPv6 using about:config then the browser becomes lightning fast

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Very likely. To get some personal take on this, I just created a cronscript to log my battery level every hour. Now it is just past 7 AM and the charge is 96%. (1.5h since I removed it from charger and left for work...)
Now a week has passed so I can proudly present my power statistics for the last 7 days

Here's the actual data I gathered: BatteryForAWeek.txt
and below a quick graph drawn from the data:

Some thinks to note from the data:
  • On weekdays I wake up about 05:45 AM when I unplug the charger and leave to work
  • I generally sleep not nearly enough, as the device is only sitting in charger 4...6 hours per night
  • On Friday morning 1) I went to work by bicycle, and had Rena (GPS tracker) active for about 2.5 hours, resulting a faster discharge
  • On Saturday morning 2) I slept late so removed device from charger around 11 AM. I also went to bed around midnight which is shamefully early for me
  • On Sunday morning 3) I also had navigation turned on for about an hour just after waking up
  • Looks like I never really deep discharge the device, most days there's still 60%...70% charge left when I plug it in

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Deep discharge is not good for lithium batteries anyway

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
True.
But he is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from deep discharging.

And as we have all that electronic circuits/chips I would expect our batteries (even discharged to zero') are still far away from a physical deep discharge, same about full load expected to not be physical full load. But hey, these are consumer devices and we should buy new ones each year (so this assumption may be plain naive ).

I, personally, still use my old behaviour of going down to zero and a full load from time to time (normally just load up to full each night). And I still use my first battery in my N900 (and all my other devices, with one exception: blown up batt of N95).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Deep discharge is not good for lithium batteries anyway
Recently had this argument with a guy from carphone warehouse, according to him you should drain your battery fully each time. Worst things is, people actually listen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Recently had this argument with a guy from carphone warehouse, according to him you should drain your battery fully each time. Worst things is, people actually listen.
yeah... I bet he also mentioned "Memory Effect"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Full discharge is necessary for batteries with memory effect, it's Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) and Nickel-Metal Hiydride (Ni-Mh) but not with Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) ones. Full discharge is good for Li-Ion ones every 30 charges or more for recalibration. Li-Ion batteries suffer by use (support a limited amount of charges, but a charge of 30% counts as 0,3 charges, not as 1), heat (so slow charging and slow discharging is better) and full discharges (wich make a damage I don't know).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
If I remember, Li-Ion do well in the 20-80% charge range.

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
... heat (so slow charging and slow discharging is better)
So charging via usb is better?

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Charging until 100% is less energy-efficient than charging until 80-90%, and generate more heat.

Since USB provides less power than charger, so it charges the mobile slower, yes.

Also, letting it connected after charging is a bad idea, bacause when reachs 100% it stop charging but most devices don't start to use current from the charger. They use the battery, so the device is continously discharging to 99%, charging to 100%, discharging to 99%... I am not sure what Jolla does.

Last edited by malkavian; 2015-04-16 at 12:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience