Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
This is experience of Jolla user who published his opinion on Jolla's fb profile:

I think It's a good point of view.
again quote from fb

Yes, but its no solving at all. Its still 267,- Euro. Yes you have half the price, but at the same time you write: "At the moment unfortunately we ran out of spare displays, but if you wish to send in your phone in the future for display replacement, please let us know and we will send you a message once the spare part is available." How can you do a good customer service, when you dont have parts ready? You have to solve this and not make me suffer. You should send me a new phone if you cannot repair becasue of missing spare displays?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
@Yminus: "Things may change." Of course. That doesn't mean they will. Maybe tomorrow Microsoft will buy Jolla. Maybe Apple will. Maybe even Google. This is nothing more than speculation, without any good reasons, even.
Fact is that Jolla Ltd. does not guarantee that they won't sell private data - they can't guarantee it. If Jolla Ltd. is bought by another company than this data won't be deleted but sold together with all other assets. And that a prospering small company is bought by a big one is nothing uncommon. Nobody could ever have imagined that Notch would sell Mojang to- or that Nokia would be bought by MS. So this is not "nothing more than speculation, without any good reasons, even."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Yminus View Post
Fact is that Jolla Ltd. does not guarantee that they won't sell private data - they can't guarantee it. If Jolla Ltd. is bought by another company than this data won't be deleted but sold together with all other assets.
If Jolla Ltd. is bought by another company, they are still bound by restrictions mentioned in privacy policy. New owner can change the privacy policy for service(s), but they are required by law to announce the change beforehand and give users the right to either accept it or refuse it and get their data removed from systems.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Fact is that Jolla Ltd. does not guarantee that they won't sell private data - they can't guarantee it.
Jolla has said many times that it doesn't give the account data to anybody (NSA, other companies, etc).

If Jolla Ltd. is bought by another company than this data won't be deleted but sold together with all other assets. And that a prospering small company is bought by a big one is nothing uncommon.
A login name, a password and a email ? Which all can be made arbitrary, i.e., fake ? With them, a list of installed softwares ? Wow, what a lot of data...

It is nonsense to compare user data collected by Jolla with data collected by Google and Apple : contacts, emails, localization (GPS and WiFi hotspots) and many other files and data.

This is the tatics : 1% = 99%. Nonsense.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-22 at 15:58.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Fact is that Jolla Ltd. does not guarantee that they won't sell private data - they can't guarantee it. If Jolla Ltd. is bought by another company than this data won't be deleted but sold together with all other assets. And that a prospering small company is bought by a big one is nothing uncommon. Nobody could ever have imagined that Notch would sell Mojang to- or that Nokia would be bought by MS. So this is not "nothing more than speculation, without any good reasons, even."
Do you have even the slightest clue how laws work?

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
You are making a lot of fuss about privacy this and privacy that, but again: you're using a mobile phone, tracking device #1. All your complaints are invalid.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
This is just speculation, but could the requirement of an account for access to their repositories and updates be related to the presence of third party binaries?

maemo.org still doesn't distribute flashable images because permission hasn't been given, and in the olden days when Nokia was Nokia, you had to input your IMEI to download one. OTA updates were different, but how much of those updates included code from 3rd parties? Jolla's updates include the Alien Dalvik stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
This is the tatics : 1% = 99%. Nonsense.
(Assuming a typo in tactics...)

There is a bigger difference between 0% and 1% than between 1% and 99%.

Yminus is right: Apple and Google have trained the masses well. Now everyone is expecting every company to harvest your data and no one even bats an eye. Yes, Jolla may be asking less than the other guys do but that is still an infity times more than what they need to ask! We should not be grateful to them that they do not ask 99%. We should question why they ask even the 1%.

In fact, I just have

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
You are making a lot of fuss about privacy this and privacy that, but again: you're using a mobile phone, tracking device #1. All your complaints are invalid.
If anything, the above argument is invalid. Yes, my phone is being tracked by default. By my provider, by my ISP, by various law enforcement agencies... Does that mean that I should be happy with Yet Another Company added to the list?

Besides, if Jolla really wants to track me so much, why do they need my account? They already have my IMEI.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Besides, if Jolla really wants to track me so much, why do they need my account? They already have my IMEI.
Newbie question here: do tablets have an IMEI? (That is, tablets that don't include cellular hardware...) I'm personally planning on separating my computing hardware from my cellular hardware in the future (i.e., sticking to dumb-phones from now on), so I'm kinda hoping that cellular-style IDs won't be making their way into non-cellular mobile hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Newbie question here: do tablets have an IMEI?
No.

You know, I was considering the same idea today. After many years with a Palm OS phone that no "smart" device I have tried ever since could as much as shine a candle to in regards to usability and the phone functionality, I am seriously considering a cheap "dumb" phone for, well, making calls and new "smart" devices purely for browsing the web and reading emails.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience