Active Topics

Originally Posted by n900user259 View Post
If you bought your Jolla through their webstore they actually know your full name, adress etc.
Well, that's really the case for any online shop. If you don't want to give them that information, don't buy from them, buy through someone else, or buy in a real shop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Mine was running no foreground apps at all. Android not installed. No calls or SMS. WiFi, 3G and GPS are on. SysMon running in the background. Came off the charger about 1800. At 1930, the charge was down to 95%. That dropped to 94% while I was typing this post.

This is the situation pretty much every day. I usually spend about two hours browsing in the evening and that gets me to about 50%. Sometimes less, very rarely more.
Yep. Again much the same here. Phone came off the charger at about 06:30 this morning and was down to 95% by 08:00. I was commuting during that, and not using the phone. So like you no calls, no SMS. WiFi and 3G on. Sysmon on.

And that's been pretty much the drain rate I have seen since I got the phone (apart from a brief, impressive period where I was only draining between 1-2% per hour about 2 firmware versions ago)

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Hmm. Here is mine for the same period.

Attachment 36394

Are you not using it at all?

There is a noticeable steep slope when I use it (generally only for browsing), but even the steady periods when idle are still steeper than yours.
Yep, that looks a familiar pattern. Here's mine:

Name:  20150121132324.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  38.1 KB

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
if jolla call list app or message app is minimized to multi task menu as the latest view app then they are totally black in multi task menu. if they are minimized and not top left they are looking good in multi task menu. is this a bug or expected behaviour?
It's a bug and a known issue:

https://together.jolla.com/question/...1-other-issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drcouzelis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Well, that's really the case for any online shop. If you don't want to give them that information, don't buy from them, buy through someone else, or buy in a real shop.
The situation here is indeed that the phone was a gift bought by somebody else.

However, I have no problem to identify myself in a webshop of my choice to buy something. But this here is different:
  • My identity would be linked to a communication device which I carry with me 24/7 and which may be under control of Jolla Ltd.. I do not want to insinuate anything, yet I know it is technically possible and other companies have no qualms about implementing back-doors, see: Samsung Galaxy back-door.
  • I don't want to buy something, I just want to install some free apps which add basic functionality I expect from a "smart" phone. And I want software updates (bugfixes/security patches).

Let's just take a minute and see what data you need to give up for a Jolla account (which you only need to access the store and post on TJC):
- username
- password

Oh. My. God. Outrageous!
Yes, you are right. But if this information is so useless as you suggest, why do they want it at all? Can you give me a convincing evidence for why they insist on creating an account?

In their "privacy" policy Jolla Ltd. state:

Protecting the privacy of our users is one of the key building blocks of our business. We believe it is important because it is what our users want and thus it is something we will work hard for to provide. Our approach towards your privacy can be summarized in the following principles:
  • You have the right to the utmost protection of your privacy. It should be for you to decide what personal data you want to share and when.
So what do they mean when they say "It should be for you to decide what personal data you want to share and when." and at the same time force me to register just for accessing the software repositories?

Jolla claims to be different but I can't see any difference.

--

That said, they should definitely do away with the Google tracking on their websites and use Piwik or something.
Why don't you block those trackers in your browser? E.g. by installing these plug-ins:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Yminus View Post
Can you give me a convincing evidence for why they insist on creating an account?
No idea, maybe they want to limit access to their repositories to people who bought a device. Maybe the account system is already there for whenever paid apps are supported, in which case you would probably need to create an account anyway. Does it matter?

Originally Posted by Yminus View Post
Why don't you block those trackers in your browser? E.g. by installing these plug-ins:
Out of those three only NoScript is needed, ABP is completely unnecessary and bloated (and even allows ads by default) and Ghostery is proprietary.

If you don't want to be tracked using a mobile phone, there is only one option: don't use one. Using a phone with open hardware is only a pseudo-option, as you can only not be tracked if you disable all connections, which would defeat the purpose of a phone, or you are your own service provider and also provide service to all your contacts and in fact to everyone all over the world. Not to mention the devices with open hardware are currently either old and not available anywhere, or vaporware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Does it matter?
Oh yes it does! The general rule should always be, "unless there is a compelling reason for doing it, don't!" Especially when it comes to privacy and sharing personal data.

When Google requires you to create an account to access their play store, everyone has their arms in the air shouting about evil Google harvesting your private data. When Jolla does the same thing, why should the reaction be any different? Because Google is evil and Jolla is good? And how do you know that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Huh? They are only asking for a username, which you can completely make up. Even if it ran off email addresses, you can make those up too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Huh? They are only asking for a username, which you can completely make up. Even if it ran off email addresses, you can make those up too.
As pichlo already stated it is not a matter of quantity of data that is revealed. If it was my free choice to join a Jolla Ltd. managed user community (but here we are talking about access to software repos) I would probably join voluntarily as I joined this forum (and many other forums as well).

The problem is that every Jolla user is forced into this otherwise his phone is not so "smart" at all. This is a really bad practice Apple started years ago, Google adopted this or to be more exact they had the account first and then they came up with the device and with Windows 8 Microsoft is catching up.

Maybe you got used to this kind of practice and meanwhile it seems natural to you. But I think this is a very bad development.

You may argue Jolla Ltd. is a small engineering company and not a big data leech like Google, Apple and Microsoft. However, the same applied to Whatsapp or Mojang. Things may change.

Jolla Ltd. may argue "take it or leave it". But then, why should I take a Jolla and not a CyanogenMod device (e.g. OnePlus One or Geeksphone) or keep on using my N900 until the Neo900 is available?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:
When Google requires you to create an account to access their play store, everyone has their arms in the air shouting about evil Google harvesting your private data. When Jolla does the same thing, why should the reaction be any different? Because Google is evil and Jolla is good? And how do you know that?
I'd say there is quite a large difference between Google and Jolla, namely that one is a company that makes its money by selling your data, and the other isn't. Google has a lot more information on you even if you don't use it, chances are at least one of your contacts uses GMail or any of their other malware. For a while you weren't even able to create a Google account if you did not use your real name!

Btw, please don't see my reactions as defending Jolla. I'm attacking nonsensical accusations.

@Yminus: "Things may change." Of course. That doesn't mean they will. Maybe tomorrow Microsoft will buy Jolla. Maybe Apple will. Maybe even Google. This is nothing more than speculation, without any good reasons, even.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience