Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
How are you checking battery capacity?
With

Code:
upower -d
like described here on TJC.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Battery drain in this update is ridiculous, phone is borderline unusable while it drains 10% an hour with Dalvik off in standby.
Odd behaviour, you have something wrong with your device.
My consumption averages 2.5%...2.8% drop per hour with light-moderate use (some email, bit of browsing, few SMS'es)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Battery drain in this update is ridiculous, phone is borderline unusable while it drains 10% an hour with Dalvik off in standby.
Good. So it isn't just me suffering from silly battery drain times

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
I cannot confirm, battery consumtion got even better with U11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Odd behaviour, you have something wrong with your device.
My consumption averages 2.5%...2.8% drop per hour with light-moderate use (some email, bit of browsing, few SMS'es)
It was like this for me in U10. Brilliant battery life, even with moderate use I'd get 3 days easily on a single charge. Now, it's extremely erratic. Sometimes it can be good, just how it was before. Other times, I check my phone for the time, and it's gone down 7% in 25 minutes (not an exaggeration).

And my battery is at 95% of original capacity, so it's not that.

I think keeping the browser open does effect it hugely, but I don't understand why now, as it didn't before. Even having MeeCast open (for the tile) drains it more than it used to. A result of the new OOM handling / OS not being allowed to kill processes as it did before?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I am experiencing this too, but I am not sure what is the real reason. These are my two suspects:
  • battery (82% capacity in my case)
  • the default browser - I need to investigate further, but I think it is the main cause of the drain

Anyways, it has become quite bad - when I got 30% of battery, I can be almost sure the battery will run out during the 25mins way home.
Consider yourself lucky. My battery is at 85% original calacity and when the charge drops to 30%, odds are about 3:1 that the phone will spontaneusly reboot. When it does, it remains in a boot loop until I put it on a charger or until the battery drains completely, which is usually about 5 minutes. U11 has nothing to do with it though.

I have not noticed any difference in battery drain myself. It has always lasted about a day of my average use (no calls or texts, no 3G, background email check every 30 minutes, some browsing in the evening) - or up to three days if left alone and not used at all.

I do not use the default browser though. There are more usable alternatives. U11 with its icons for bookmarks was the final nail in the coffin.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Consider yourself lucky. My battery is at 85% original calacity and when the charge drops to 30%, odds are about 3:1 that the phone will spontaneusly reboot. When it does, it remains in a boot loop until I put it on a charger or until the battery drains completely, which is usually about 5 minutes. U11 has nothing to do with it though.
You should try to clean the battery contacts. It looks like this fixed the shutdown and reboot issues for me completely. I cleaned the contacts two months ago and did not have a single shutdown or reboot since then.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
You should try to clean the battery contacts. It looks like this fixed the shutdown and reboot issues for me completely. I cleaned the contacts two months ago and did not have a single shutdown or reboot since then.
I fixed all my shutdown and reboot issues by stuffing a piece of paper behind the battery so that it presses on the contact leads more firmly. Kinda reminds one of the old creaky Nokias that could be fixed in a similar way to stop creaking.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I fixed all my shutdown and reboot issues by stuffing a piece of paper behind the battery so that it presses on the contact leads more firmly. Kinda reminds one of the old creaky Nokias that could be fixed in a similar way to stop creaking.
I had used the paper trick before, but I removed the paper. It looks like cleaning the contacts did a way better job in my case than the piece of paper. YMMV.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
My Jolla hardly goes below 50% battery in one day.
On a typical work day in the office, I have it lying on the desk idle most of the time, but with browser, e-mail apps, securefishnet (OpenVPN connection) and often one or two more apps open, just checking from time to time, and making a few phonecalls (maybe 30min in total).
This is in an area with really bad mobile signal (I have to place my phone - any phone, not just the jolla - on the right spot on my desk to get any signal at all) but using work wifi.
I usually have around 70% battery left after 10-11hours.

Of course battery drains faster when I actively use the phone - browsing on "heavy" sites and watching videos makes battery drain visible.

But I can't complain about battery life at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rocks, not again!, tags suck!, yes again!