Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
theres a thread on here that has a patch, messing with a few values stops the OOM killing
This one?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94358&highlight=oom

feel free to post the link if this one was incorrect and happy new year.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-12-31 at 16:19.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Tigeli says here (TJC) that there are some parameters you can play with:

/sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj (0,58,117,529,1000)
/sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree (4096,6144,8192,12288,20000)
/proc/sys/vm/extra_free_kbytes (16384)

He also explains the meaning of these.

In the same thread, HansA, a user says:
"echo "0,0,0,0,0" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree"
OOM appkilling stops. Apps are now never closed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
In the same thread, HansA, a user says:
"echo "0,0,0,0,0" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree"
OOM appkilling stops. Apps are now never closed!
Just no complaints when you can't receive a phonecall from your wife when the water broke, or can't call 911..

Sometimes applications become killed ahead of time as the alternative is the system thrashing.

The OOM can be less extreme though and it seems to age and get a bit too moody, so that's to be changed, but the main problem is gone.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
@stskeeps
Huh, i need to reconsider this, then!?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just no complaints when you can't receive a phonecall from your wife when the water broke, or can't call 911..

Sometimes applications become killed ahead of time as the alternative is the system thrashing.

The OOM can be less extreme though and it seems to age and get a bit too moody, so that's to be changed, but the main problem is gone.
Agreed. But as long as I'm not changing these values I take it as I´m allowed to complain at will

Happy new year to all!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
This one?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94358&highlight=oom

feel free to post the link if this one was incorrect and happy new year.
yep, although why your linking it to a youtube vid i dont know :P happy new year dave

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

I've been thinking, is this 'trashing' a real threat or just a possibility? i seldomly run 9 apps simultaneously, i'd probably look into processes if phone acts too sluggishly. Because sometimes a milde possibility is overexposed by tech companies just to safeguard against possible user complaints.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
I guess it's real threat. With update 8 UI freezed several times completely and AFAIK new Qt 5.2 made that worse in very low memory situations. So, it's reasonable to keep certain amount of memory available for certain thing all the time. However, it's way too aggressive in update 10.

I did this tweak several days ago:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=41

It doesn't stay after reboot (so it's good for tinkering ) and I don't know which values in Tigelis list would result in similar configuration, but so far my device has been stable and there have been no problems with UI freezing or apps getting killed. Maybe something like this might work with update 11?

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I had a case just yesterday (in a middle of quite an important online chat too) that all my running apps were unexpectedly closed. There were not too many either: a browser with three tabs open and two terminal windows. That's it. Three apps. All killed simultaneously. The phone did not reboot.

Yes, I have had a few missed calls on my N900 due to a sluggish response because of too many apps open but I would rather take that risk than having apps shut on me like that. At least I would know I have only myself to blame.

YMMV.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I also had ALL my apps closed a number of times, random closing of apps including gpodder or such I'm using happens more often. u10 with default values is unusable. It'll be interesting to see the values chosen for u11. It's not easy to choose. Maybe an advanced setting with "profiles" like heavy multitasker and I don't dare miss a phone call would be nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience