Active Topics

Many thanks to TA-t3

I like to ask you few things again.
In the nokia software, they warned us that we should not plugin the charger, and you told me to do that. Are you really sure about this?

As you said, i added the repositories and when i try to install SKYPE then again it shows lot of package files missing and it didnt install.

I wonder why the application depends on the files which are present in the device or not. They can give the files along with the installation package right? This will solve lot of problems with the newbies like me.( I got the device only 2 days back.)

I installed Pidgin chatting software and all the necessary protocols like Msn and Yahoo. Installed sounds and smileys. Here i would like to ask you whther you got the sounds working?
For me the sounds are not working for pidgin. Really i dont understnd why.

I installed gaim and there i got the sounds for that application but why not for Pidgin?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I have some sounds in msn/Pidgin, did you try the test button in preferences?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Instead of pressing the HOME key and all that tricky magic, you should instead: 1) Remove charger cable from N800 2) connect, and start software wizard, then 3) Now just plug in the charger cable. It will do the same trick as the HOME/power button magic, but it's much simpler. No buttons to press.
I tried as you told me Even this gave the same message. Device not found on my pc. But i can able to access the files through the cable. Also i can see the usb logo in N800 too.

But this software doesnt react to my n800

Can anyone give me a best reply plsss?

Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
I have some sounds in msn/Pidgin, did you try the test button in preferences?
Yeah i tried test button. It also didnt give me any sound.

Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
In the nokia software, they warned us that we should not plugin the charger, and you told me to do that. Are you really sure about this?
(I saw your later post that you did try it).
The charger should be unplugged at first, but when you get to the part of the instructions where it tells you to do the button trick to switch it on, you instead plug in the charger.
It sounds like you didn't get it working. Unfortunately I can't help you more on that, because I don't flash from Windows myself.

As you said, i added the repositories and when i try to install SKYPE then again it shows lot of package files missing and it didnt install.
That's because Skype won't install until you have installed the new firmware. As you suggested later Skype depends on software that comes with the new firmware.

My aim is to know whether can we install Globe7 on N800? If so how?

As some people may think wats this gonna do big for us , as you all may have installed SKYPE. But let me tell you. SKype is not free. They charge you both for incoming calls for SKYPE IN facility. SKype charge for SKYPE OUT as well.

But Globe7 doesnt charge for incoming calls. Its full free for usa email registration.

So can anyone tell me how to install Globe7? I already have a globe7 account and they gave me a telephone number which others can use to call me. My mom calls me from her VONAGE to my GLOBE7 number which i used in my pc

Now anyone got any idea? Please share if we can install globe7 and enjoy free incoming calls free of charge.

Also if you got another way to get the VONAGE incoming calls to NOKIA N800 then please share it.

Heard that Gizmo call also has some magics with which we can call free and receive free.. Any experienced people here ?????

Last edited by Blaster; 2007-10-30 at 21:24.

Many thanks to all you guys again. Especially TA-t3. I successfully upgraded my N800 yesterday.

The problem was the dotnet framework. I again reinstalled dotnet and again installed nokia driver in my pc. Then when i do this upgrade process, it found the device and i was able to upgrade.

So thanks to all of you guys who helped me.

But now i would like to ask this new question.

I upgraded to new firmware on N800. Installed microb. But i am not able to see an engine to choose opera below close . Can anyone help me how can i get that option ????? Plsss

In your home directory (where you are when you start an osso-xterm window) there's a file called .browser (that's a leading dot there, which is why you won't necessarily see it with just an 'ls' command).

Quit all browser windows. Edit the .browser file:

vi .browser

There's a line 'hidden=false' near the top. Change 'false' to 'true' and save the file.

(If you haven't used vi before: Tap 'j' to go down one line. Tap 'l' to go to the right until you're over the 'f' in 'false'. Tap 'x' five times to delete the word. Tap shift a (shift and then a) to start editing at end of line, write 'true' (without quotes), hit the 'escape' button (that's the hardware button with the curving arrow) and then the ':' (colon) character. That gives you a ':' prompt at the bottom. Enter 'qw' to write and exit (or 'q!' to exit without writing).
'vi' folks will know a faster way.. I don't use vi, except for tiny changes like this.

Now, when you next start microb you'll find a new entry in the dropdown menu. At the bottom there's 'Set engine', where you can choose between MicroB and Opera. NB: It'll _always_ show MicroB selected, whichever selection is currently active. After changing, close all your browser windows or it won't have any effect. The next one you start will be the one you selected.

I opened the browser. Then i opened X-term window.

it shows "Busybox v1.4.1 Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
/$

I dont know how to open the .browser file for editing

See my posting again.. use the 'vi' editor:

vi .browser

(NB: The browser itself must be _closed_ when you edit this file.)