Active Topics

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It can't be via WUBI if Ubuntu boots but Windows does not.

I suspect the link I posted has an answer. It seems to be a known issue: dual boot Ubuntu with Windows, breaks upon upgrading Windows to W8.
No, gosh. I copied Windows 8 files to my USB. Then to my portable hard drive and started the setup. And no, suddenly the laptop crashed and rebooted. Must be some overheating or such problem.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Did you read the EULA? Did you ask permission from your friend or from Microsoft?
Permission from MY FRIEND to copy the contents from his CD. It's HIS now.
And hell no! Who has time to read those? Seriously..

I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
It can't be via WUBI if Ubuntu boots but Windows does not.

I suspect the link I posted has an answer. It seems to be a known issue: dual boot Ubuntu with Windows, breaks upon upgrading Windows to W8.
Could be but IIRC if you get the option to choose operating system ala Windows boot-loader style then it means running on WUBI... If its a native installation, usually GRUB loads first on Win8... Of course he is upgrading so could be Windows boot-loader has taken preference again... The best bet would be to re-enter into the Windows installation mode and re-install or repair computer...

Then again this seems to be a case of pebkac

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
And hell no! Who has time to read those? Seriously..
The prosecutor does.

The prosecutor does.
Well, I don't

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Could be but IIRC if you get the option to choose operating system ala Windows boot-loader style then it means running on WUBI... If its a native installation, usually GRUB loads first on Win8... Of course he is upgrading so could be Windows boot-loader has taken preference again... The best bet would be to re-enter into the Windows installation mode and re-install or repair computer...

Then again this seems to be a case of pebkac
That's the problem. It can't read the installation anymore. It tells me click OK to restart installation, I do that and the laptop restarts and does the same thing.

So... Imma send it to repair?

Well, I had an idea to mount the setup to cd drive so I can boot from it, but Ubuntu won't mount it to CD/DVD Drive which makes it difficult. Anyway I can restart the installation?

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
So, let's remove Grub first, it ****ed up your whole installation. Download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD and boot it. Select HDD, Boot Management, Super GRUB disk. Type:
Code:
Win => MBR &  !WIN!   :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
The sh*tload of ('s aren't mine idea...

Now you've only got Windows. Feels good, huh? No, it shouldn't. We're goin' to install GRUB again.

Start from a Live CD and start the terminal. From there, mount the partition Ubuntu is installed on. You don't know? sudo fdisk -l.
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/mnt
. Now reboot (sudo shutdown -r now) and remove the cd. Ubuntu will start from the HDD. In the terminal:
Code:
sudo update-grub
. If it ****s your Windows up again, you should try Ubuntu 12.10, I think it has a newer Win8 compatible GRUB.

EDIT: You shouldn't use Windows 8 btw, I know you're a child, but Metro is a playground for 4 year olds... Even I (14 years) think that, so...

Originally Posted by tiempjuuh View Post
So, let's remove Grub first, it ****ed up your whole installation. Download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD and boot it. Select HDD, Boot Management, Super GRUB disk. Type:
Code:
Win => MBR &  !WIN!   :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
The sh*tload of ('s aren't mine idea...

Now you've only got Windows. Feels good, huh? No, it shouldn't. We're goin' to install GRUB again.

Start from a Live CD and start the terminal. From there, mount the partition Ubuntu is installed on. You don't know? sudo fdisk -l.
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/mnt
. Now reboot (sudo shutdown -r now) and remove the cd. Ubuntu will start from the HDD. In the terminal:
Code:
sudo update-grub
. If it ****s your Windows up again, you should try Ubuntu 12.10, I think it has a newer Win8 compatible GRUB.
Yea totally! AS IF I HAVE A LIVE CD.