Active Topics

Even if you disregard the fact that devices die, the N9 isn't really an open-source project, considering how much of it is open and, especially, how much is not.

Anyways, short answer, no.

The N9 will likely go down in history as yet another one of Nokia's "it could have been huge" failures... Not unlike our beloved N900s, at that.

The real irony here, though, is that even a phone that has been effectively EOL'd even before launch gets to outsell Nokia's Win phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
easy, because it's not the opensource software that's in danger it's the availability of devices. If that is not maintained then neither is the software support as devices become dated or break, people will move on and the community will cease to exist.
That's a pretty slow process, nothing like enough to kill a community.

Plus hopefully the Nemo guys can get it running on some of the faster hardware coming out.

I don't forsee any major backers running with it but we can be happy with our N9/00s until something better eventually comes along.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Interesting read: bit.ly/xt2r8v Can QT be the Holy Grail and turning point for Nokia/Maemo?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post

Plus hopefully the Nemo guys can get it running on some of the faster hardware coming out.

I don't forsee any major backers running with it but we can be happy with our N9/00s until something better eventually comes along.
I'm not sure what you meant but Nemo is not using Harmattan, they are using Mer. Maybe there's some overlap, but it's minimal AFAIK

I don't see how Harmattan has a better chance to be adapted to hardware coming out than Mer/Nemo, or even N900 for that matter. I have seen noone even attempting to replace the closed source Swipe UI of Harmattan with an open UI.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm not sure what you meant but Nemo is not using Harmattan, they are using Mer. Maybe there's some overlap, but it's minimal AFAIK

I don't see how Harmattan has a better chance to be adapted to hardware coming out than Mer/Nemo, or even N900 for that matter. I have seen noone even attempting to replace the closed source Swipe UI of Harmattan with an open UI.
Nemo has gestures too, you know.. The overlap is that we share same UI components mostly, Qt framework, but not apps or base system. We're fairly binary compatible.

Harmattan's not good for porting to other devices, as it's a Maemo deriative.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Nemo has gestures too, you know.. The overlap is that we share same UI components mostly, Qt framework, but not apps or base system. We're fairly binary compatible.

Harmattan's not good for porting to other devices, as it's a Maemo deriative.
Agreed. But the way you say that is like it was inevitable that Harmattan is not good for porting to other devices because of its Maemo heritage. AFAIK there is nothing about the architecture about Maemo that makes derivatives inherently not good for porting to other devices. Harmattan is not good for porting because it has a lot of closed source parts.

Agreed. But the way you say that is like it was inevitable that Harmattan is not good for porting to other devices because of its Maemo heritage. AFAIK there is nothing about the architecture about Maemo that makes derivatives inherently not good for porting to other devices. Harmattan is not good for porting because it has a lot of closed source parts.
Let's just say it this way: If Maemo had been more portable, there wouldn't have been a need for the MeeGo rebase on top of Moblin. Maemo couldn't scale up to multiple device categories or SoC types.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Let's just say it this way: If Maemo had been more portable, there wouldn't have been a need for the MeeGo rebase on top of Moblin. Maemo couldn't scale up to multiple device categories or SoC types.
Agreed again. I think most people currently in maemo community are primarily interested in Arm based handsets and small tablets so it's not much of a problem for us.

Agreed again. I think most people currently in maemo community are primarily interested in Arm based handsets and small tablets so it's not much of a problem for us.
Even across different ARM devices..

Even across different ARM devices..
Sure, I don't disagree that Harmattan can't scale to all ARM devices.

I'll bite one more time For the record, I am not proposing to port Harmattan to any future device, but which ARM SoC types are it restricted to or from in your opinion?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego, n9 kills lumia