Active Topics

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I think I believe a Nokia's developer website more than phonearena
Wishful thinking mate...
With the N900 and N97 Nokia support, you still would believe them more?

BTW, Nokia when first presenting S^3 said that all future devices require GPUs. The UI is GPU accelerated. That's the case here, they don't need to advertise the GPU anymore since it's the same one. The CPU, however, has finally reached a GHz on Symbian, so let's advertize that. And why in the hell would you think that Nokia is capable of fragmenting their OVI store even more when they want to unify it all with Qt? Lack of GPU would suck, and I doubt they are as stupid as they were with the feature pack 2 phones (n96, n85, etc) and s60v5.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
BTW, Nokia when first presenting S^3 said that all future devices require GPUs. The UI is GPU accelerated.
Okay, this is true. They said that. I give that one to you
But I still feel that if it does have gpu, it won't be Broadcom BCM2727. It is something a LOT less powerful.

Okay, this is true. They said that. I give that one to you
But I still feel that if it does have gpu, it won't be Broadcom BCM2727. It is something a LOT less powerful.
Why would it have a worse one? It's the same. The CPU is already faster than a Symbian flagship so why would the GPU be any different. It's the same one for sure Nokia is trying to use the same CPU and GPU in their whole line so that there won't be any fragmentation. You don't get HD camera, since the phone is 150 euros, but doesn't mean it's not capable. I am sure it decodes 720p in the media player, but doesn't encode them.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Why would it have a worse one? It's the same. The CPU is already faster than a Symbian flagship so why would the GPU be any different. It's the same one for sure Nokia is trying to use the same CPU and GPU in their whole line so that there won't be any fragmentation. You don't get HD camera, since the phone is 150 euros, but doesn't mean it's not capable. I am sure it decodes 720p in the media player, but doesn't encode them.
Do you mean that gpu is not enabled? I think we need to have a teardown

Do you mean that gpu is not enabled? I think we need to have a teardown
Software is limiting encoding of 720p. The same case with the N900. The SoC is capable of recording 720p, but software is the limiting factor.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Merge threads?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...GHz+S40&page=4
Alas, this is not an S40 phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
In before Symbian doesn't do CPU frequency scaling and runs it at 1GHz all the time
As I understand it Symbian uses a distributed approach to power saving, many system components can be transitioned to standby or off states as required including the CPU if it supports low power states.

Try Googling the Symbian DPowerController class.