Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
How long do you think before they start reducing their MeeGo related resources?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Whilst Kajko's comments diplay a poor attitude and tone (perhaps english isn't the priamry language here?) there is a point.
Given that Nokia has the largest RD budget of any other phone maker, what have all those dollars produced? flextime for it's programmers?
You can't honestly believe something that silly, can you?

I can assure you Maemo never got the budget it deserved, and MeeGo was obviously doomed when Elop took the job. He set it up to fail.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You can't honestly believe something that silly, can you?

I can assure you Maemo never got the budget it deserved, and MeeGo was obviously doomed when Elop took the job. He set it up to fail.
We know it got over $300 million dollars... how can you assure us otherwise? Or by what criteria are you determining what the project "deserved"? Results couldn't be the criterion....

How did Elop set it up to fail when it was put in place years ago and failed before he even got to Nokia?

You might want to ponder deeply the first sentence of yours that I quoted.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
We know it got over $300 million dollars... how can you assure us otherwise? Or by what criteria are you determining what the project "deserved"? Results couldn't be the criterion....

How did Elop set it up to fail when it was put in place years ago and failed before he even got to Nokia?

You might want to ponder deeply the first sentence of yours that I quoted.
I don't need to ponder anything deeply. I worked for Nokia, I launched and supported Maemo devices, and I know very well what I'm talking about. You're making assumptions about how that money was spent that are off the actual mark. Hint: it didn't go where it was really needed.

When I say Elop set MeeGo up to fail, I'm specifically referring to what transpired after he came on board, of course.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Mate, I can't speak from an insider's viewpoint but there's some validity to my point, no matter how distasteful. I drew a reference to Symbian as an example of a product that's been in development for years (along with maemo) and still hasn't reached a level of maturity and user satisfaction (on theUI side at least). Using the mantra that symbian for exmple is the most widely used OS doesn;t mean that R&D money has been spent wisely develooping it. Just look at windoze for proof of that.....

just my .02

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
I'm thinking about 500 roughly 500 of those people will have their jobs when they come back to work. Others will be scooped up and find great jobs that appreciate them, the workers weren't exactly the problem with Nokia it was management and their failure to hire my as a consultant

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
I probably would have resigned after today announcement anyway...
While resigning on principle is almost never a good idea, I actually did that at the last company I worked for when they've decided to move to .NET exclusively, even tho it didn't affect me directly - the existing small 'division' of .NET guys were such asses and our ways of thinking were so opposite that I figured it would only get worse when the new .NET blood (read it Microsoft mindset) starts rushing into the company... Not to mention that I don't like the .NET premise anyway.

Turns out it was the best decision of my life - a month later I got a new job, got almost double the salary, leading the R&D department and having an equal vote as the managers when it comes to strategic decisions. Epilogue: the company I've left is now reduced to a 10-people team that my company from time to time outsources for some ridiculously low cash; I have twice as much free time and I'm actually doing something I love; Sometimes it really does pay off to follow your principles.

Best decision of my life, period!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
While resigning on principle is almost never a good idea, I actually did that at the last company I worked for when they've decided to move to .NET exclusively, even tho it didn't affect me directly - the existing small 'division' of .NET guys were such asses and our ways of thinking were so opposite that I figured it would only get worse when the new .NET blood (read it Microsoft mindset) starts rushing into the company... Not to mention that I don't like the .NET premise anyway.

Turns out it was the best decision of my life - a month later I got a new job, got almost double the salary, leading the R&D department and having an equal vote as the managers when it comes to strategic decisions. Epilogue: the company I've left is now reduced to a 10-people team that my company from time to time outsources for some ridiculously low cash; I have twice as much free time and I'm actually doing something I love; Sometimes it really does pay off to follow your principles.

nice one bro

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I'm thinking about 500 roughly 500 of those people will have their jobs when they come back to work. Others will be scooped up and find great jobs that appreciate them, the workers weren't exactly the problem with Nokia it was management and their failure to hire my as a consultant
I agree that management was the problem at Nokia, particularly the executives. I think almost everyone can find messages that express that as far back as at least since time I joined. Maemo has been an incredibly badly managed platform almost ENTIRELY because of senior executives at the company.

As for not hiring you as a consultant, perhaps if you brushed up on your grammar you may have had opportunity.

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
I can relate.. and I've done precisely the same thing several times, actually. It strange that it works that way, but every time I left on those grounds (even as a teen), I almost always ended up with an increasingly better job that paid better and was far more in line with my interests and hobbies.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-02-12 at 09:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
My rent won't go up anytime soon. That I'm sure of.

Altough maybe I should move somewhere else. Kinda depressing living here right now. Walking past news stands with big headlines like "The beginning of the end" above cross made of Nokia phones.

Still, I remain confidant that this will be good for Espoo and Finland in general. Huge amount skill and talent will be let loose from the grips of totally incompetent Nokia management. Lots of good will blossom from that. Short term pain followed with better future.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
blame others, buysomethinelse, elop loves cock, few rule many, in the arse, kajko blows, stfu kajko