Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by torx View Post
Mostly everyday? I like to turn it off when i sleep. Also, it seems to drain quite a lot of battery in soft power off mode for me, so i just turn it off when i don't use it.
Do you have the LEDs on ? They won't let the device sleep for too long and wake up the CPU (I think) quite often.

on a side note, my linksys router (runs a linux firmware) has once been up and running for half a year without a restart.
Linux

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Hello to everyone,

I was just curious to know for how long your tablet has been up & running.

Mine is up for 33 days now without a crash.

Kudos to the Maemo team, the maemo developers and to Linux for this great device.
Having bought my sweetheart an 800 after I trashed my 770; I then inherited her old 770, I was impressed with it. I then loaded the hacker firmware onto "my" 770. Seeing what the 800 had over the 770 and what the hacker edition could do was enough to win me over if not my pocketbook. Either the hacker edition has some bugs or it's me. I crash my 770 regularly every few days, usually with about 5-8 open applications with about 8-15 total windows. Please note I'm *not* *****ing! I love the freedom the platform has brought me. I use email (claws), PIM (GPE), text (leafpad,xjournal,evince), web (spotyah,opera), etc. It's almost replaced my laptop! The 800 locked up the other day, finally after several months. My sweetheart uses that for email (claws), PIM (GPE), surfing, listening to radio, etc. Recently I must have been very good because I received an 800 for my birthday! It's not just geek cool, everywhere we go people want to know what these things are. Kudo's all around!

If you have 8-15 apps running on the RAM-limited 770 you probably run into out-of-memory problems, which may cause crashes.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Cincinnati, Oh
Ok.... I'm a complete noobie

I'll power it up, check email, power down. Power back up, surf for a while, power down. etc....

Are you guys just letting it sleep between sessions? If so, is the same sleep mode that goes into automatically when left idle? and... Is there a battery drain during this time?

Thanks,
Dwayne

I just lock the screen (press power button once, then home button once). And again to unlock. If it's sitting on the table I just let it go to sleep by itself.
It doesn't use much power. It can stay in that mode for 9-10 days. You can even leave it connected to wi-fi, it'll keep for at least a couple of days still. This is how I usually leave it, because it'll keep receiving emails and google talk connections etc. (and play a little sound to let me know). Doesn't use much battery at all, it has a very efficient power saving mode; whenever the CPU goes idle (which is most of the time, as most applications are just sitting there, waiting for an event) the power drain drops by several orders of magnitude.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-06-21 at 12:41.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
In most cases, I had to re-start my tablet when I update one of the home applets. This is just required

Last time I rebooted my N800 was in April.
Usually when I travel I just put it in offline mode and put into cold sleep mode. At night i plug it into power.
Even went to Kuwait and back without powering it completely off.
My N80 however, I usually wind up rebooting it about every other day.
y.
y.

Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
In most cases, I had to re-start my tablet when I update one of the home applets. This is just required
That would be only when you have simple launcher installed (or at least I'm not aware of any problems w/o it). The fix is simple: Instead of rebooting, just select the home menu (it's there, even if white), tools, set background image, OK. That'll reload the background, no reboot required.
EDIT: MishaS? That's you who wrote simple launcher, right? So you would be aware of the above.. is there then some other kind of problem?

44 days... by that time my n800 started to be really slow. Opera was also very very slow, so I restarted and everything was ok.

I don't reboot it much.

It's more often the case that it restarts itself.