Active Topics

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
TDoesn't mean all of them have to turn sexual. That time it was a regular shower.
We didn't mean for you

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

As Petur says.The LEDs wouldn't give enough light for photography, so they are "overpowered" so to speak. More than enough power is supplied in an effort to get them flood the scene enough. But because this power is only a very short burst (milliseconds) if that, there isn't enough heat generated to burn them out. Supply that amount of power constantly over a prolonged lengh of time and it could potentially damage the LCD filaments.

Just something that I learned during an electronics course.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
just wanted to add here

one night where i was very sleepy, i forgot to turn off the flashlight (cam LEDs) and it burned for 5hours+.

it still works fine since it has been stated before that when you use flashlight function the LEDs are only driven at a low % of there full potential.

and i have also been making LED lights for home & flashlights for 6+ years, so i know what they can take.
Similar story here. During pre-sleep EightyOne-sessions in dark, 1/5 is still too bright so I keep the leds on, illuminating the background to compensate for the overly-bright backlight (I'm somewhat sensitive, I have most of my devices on minimum brightness all the time and it's usually still too much, but at least I enjoy improved battery life...).
Once I fell asleep with the leds still on, and woke up about 10 hours later. I was slightly worried about durability of the leds then, but seeing how it happened months of daily usage ago I have learned to "stop worrying and love the phone".

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Russia
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
Similar story here. During pre-sleep EightyOne-sessions in dark, 1/5 is still too bright so I keep the leds on, illuminating the background to compensate for the overly-bright backlight (I'm somewhat sensitive, I have most of my devices on minimum brightness all the time and it's usually still too much, but at least I enjoy improved battery life...).
Once I fell asleep with the leds still on, and woke up about 10 hours later. I was slightly worried about durability of the leds then, but seeing how it happened months of daily usage ago I have learned to "stop worrying and love the phone".
You can reduce screen brightness further. Try in terminal:
Code:
root
echo >/sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness 3
Number in the command should be in range 1..255. Change is temporary -- it lasts till next brightness autoadjust or screen on/off cycle.

The Following User Says Thank You to butler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by butler View Post
Code:
root
Number in the command should be in range 1..255. Change is temporary -- it lasts till next brightness autoadjust or screen on/off cycle.
I am sure you mean:

Code:
root
echo 3 > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
We are talking about the FLASH Leds at the camera right???

and side note on your screen brightness, check out my Custom Brightness for N900 - no ALS is now ready for install this will give you the brightness settings you want and disable that stupid slow reacting light sensor

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Sorry, no time to go look the n900 specs up myself
Just read the fine source code for the flashlight app.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by butler View Post
Code:
root
The range is 0..255, but 0 turns the backlight off, though with the N900s transreflective screen it is quite usable in bright sunlight with the backlight off.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
The range is 0..255, but 0 turns the backlight off, though with the N900s transreflective screen it is quite usable in bright sunlight with the backlight off.
since PR 1.3 i had to change my custom brigthness to only go to brightness 2, because now after PR 1.3 Value 0 and 1 turns to screen brightness/leds off

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
As Petur says.The LEDs wouldn't give enough light for photography, so they are "overpowered" so to speak. More than enough power is supplied in an effort to get them flood the scene enough. But because this power is only a very short burst (milliseconds) if that, there isn't enough heat generated to burn them out. Supply that amount of power constantly over a prolonged lengh of time and it could potentially damage the LCD filaments.

Just something that I learned during an electronics course.
That is theoretically correct, but it's not how it works. A phone flash has 2 modes, flash and light. One lights up to 60 percent, continuous and the other to 120 percent for 0.4 seconds.

When shooting video in the dark, the LED stays on, with no ill effects. The power is way under what is pumped through on flash.

The flashlight app uses the continuous underpower mode, otherwise it'd be dead within minutes.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post: