These OVI suite kind of do it all between comp and phone are the thing nowadays and makes sense for those who just connect their phone and want stuff happen. I don't do this at all so i don't really care. I think Nolia did just enough to make N900 as a supported phone.
Before this goes all negative i'm sure we got other people here than me who own Galaxy S and N900 and so have used kies. That synch and fw update soft is so buggy and will come up with a new problem when you thought everything was right already so it's not all sunshine and green happy elfs on the other side either.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
I would agree with leetut minus one point and the would be with Sygic maps..though ovi maps doesn't provide the basics like other nokia phones but neither does sygic as they don't cover every where.. try finding a sygic map for some parts of the middle east,, (Jordan)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
it crashes like a blind old lady driving a spoirts car....it dosnt take much and happens often.

while it is better then the previous version, the biggest difference is the front page...

but the part that works the best is uninstall. that worked every time i tried it.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The server at tiny.cc is taking too long to respond.

Nice. Not hosted by Nokia?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
chemist, can I ask how you rsync your contacts?
It is not a "syncing" in terms of compare both and put them together just to point that clear!
AFAIR it is
osso-addressbook-backup -e contacts.vcard
then rsync command you considered for backup

Would be nice to have osso-backup having a proper CLI version to cronjob it.

For the Mac version: I do not know why there is no Mac/Linux version yet as it is asked for in any betalabs category of windows software.

Why the heck would I want to automatically copy everything form my phone media folders onto a random location on the PC?
Honestly? I have no idea! I like to sort my stuff in folders instead of using a huge blown up image viewer which takes hours to index 2TB media drives and does not get changes anyway. I have seen this at different software too and am afraid to say "That is what John Average asked for!" or better... it is what companies think people need like 16:9 monitors.

If you do not like NOS or it's betas that is ok with me. I like to test software and point out issues, especially with stuff I do not like that much. People are requesting things here and I consider to suggest them in a closed alpha, cannot tell them about but at least I tried to extract some info from the masses. Now it is public beta and you are free to join and more than invited to beat the sh.. out of nokia forums if you like.

BUT keep in mind that requests and pointing fingers must be done in a kind and gentle way and not like you stuff a giant rod up nokia's a... crying "For Science!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Any news about a true cross-platform Ovi-Suite client ?
If Nokia is using Qt, then they should be able to provide cross-platform software that works on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
Any news about a true cross-platform Ovi-Suite client ?
If Nokia is using Qt, then they should be able to provide cross-platform software that works on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
+1

I came to this thread to say the same thing!

Does anyone know if NOS is written in Qt? From the looks of it, does not seem so.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Rota Land
try this link to download.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...d_installation

got it hooked up. but i removed the OS2 first.

runs a little better than the 2. lets see how long it lasts. so far so good.

it sucks that the recommended apps for my area are no longer available.

I like it. Better than ovi player for downloading music, just quicker. And slick animations, maybe QML. Unfortunately ovi store is just a link to the webpage.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
didn't want to start the new thread, but saw the OVI Nokia adv for N900, didn't really got it - how does it work, is it new? what's coming to n900 - in video spotted only several screenshot with several apps open - anyway watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEhw...layer_embedded

the idea is nice and integration would be cool - but would we got it or they mean what we have is the same, or it's just another just show off nokia videos that we don't get anything from it....

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: