Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I keep thinking about the 4-finger swipe ... but then I realize it can severely limit the device.
I could have sworn I wrote a response to this!

Anyways, here goes for the second time

Yes this is a very good point (re: 4 finger swipe).

I actually like the way that Honeycomb does app switching over the playbook, though it could be done a little more stylishly. Both systems require at least 2 finger presses to get to the application. In the case of swiping left and right, this count can increase past 2.

I think that HC should have a single click of the app-swticher button, and then perhaps zoom out all windows so that you can select among those that were previously running. The zoom prevents this from being confusing as the user can see that their current window is now a part of many running windows, and re-select it, or select something else.

Again, I prefer the mechanism that Honeycomb uses (to the playbook), though the way its drawn on the screen could be much, much better.

I don't care so much about live windows either, I think it's a waste of resources and battery life. I much prefer the way Android does multitasking as it allows the developer choice over what happens when the app loses focus, and eliminates the need for the user to explicity 'close' an application (similar to palm OS of old).

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
So it is mentioned on other thread that there are minimal differences between QNX and Maemo

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63016&page=5

I'm not sure this is the case. Perhaps the differences between QNX and Maemo are less than the differences between Android and Maemo, but I'm not sure the differences are minimal. certainly, a big diff is that QNX is not open source. others may know the details, please chime in...

Also, isn't Playbook the only shipping mobile tablet with TI OMAP 44xx?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
boring post to subscribe. soz.

has anyone figured out a hack to it yet?

all i know is that if you open a browser and type

file:
that it opens the file system.

i have not tried ssh yet

one thing for sure....capacitive is so much less accurate then my resistive n900 on a smaller screen...and this needs arrow keys...editing text sux.

Last edited by ceroberts75; 2011-04-23 at 17:08.

after about 5 hours on the playbook...my assesment is that it is nice, but i am glad i did not have to pay for it.

i still prefer my n900 over the playbook.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
want to change some fonts...fojnd the fonts repo in the file system, but most of the system is lockdd out.

hope someone comes ip with an xterm and root process!

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
want to change some fonts...fojnd the fonts repo in the file system, but most of the system is lockdd out.

hope someone comes ip with an xterm and root process!
This illustrates a major shortcoming (IMHO). QNX is posix and thus very familiar (and powerful), but it's also closed. I bet it will be more frustrating to use than even open posix-complaint mobile systems, as there will be many things to work-around to have true freedom.

In the end, I'm guessing you'd be better off trying to install MeeGo to the system.

lol...if it had a pim sunc function and email and contacts a calendar...would be fine.

but for us linux n900 user...we like customization, which is really not even an opton on other devices unlike the n900.

so far, despite those deficencies...its a good device...needs some update though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Just got a freelance experience on the iPad2, ASUS Transformer and the RIM Playbook back-to-back.

I can comfortably say the iPad is bad for ereading, or carrying around unless its in your bag. For browsing, typing, "apps" its great.

The Transformer is slightly better for browsing, typing and apps --thanks to its better aspect ratio and keyboard. It is slightly larger than the iPad so portability wise, it also *must* be in a bag (sidebag, backpack, beachbag etc).

The RIM Playbook was worse for apps (very little and some badly implemented). The browser was not quite there, and screen size was a real hinderence. Typing was excellent, superior to the iPad because when held in portrait the keyboard fits perfectly under your thumb. And UX-wise I can say wow. I really like the quick switching and having apps run in the background.

I think RIM can sell me one if they shaved the bezel (I want to grip it comfortably in one of my large hands), make it lighter (I could strap it to my thigh/jacket pocket). Fix the obvious shortcomings (apps, glitches etc). And make it necessary to use 2+ finger for its app switching.

I would also want to buy one in 8.9" (with supershaved bezels on portrait sides) just to see how it improves the browsing and video playback experience.

I think RIM has definitely given this more effort than HP did to the TouchPad.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The native SDK is now available:
http://www.pdfdevices.com/blackberry...oes-into-beta/

How much does full POSIX compliance really help with porting apps when QNX does not support X11?

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
16GB version is going for 199$ at http://store.shopblackberry.com/

Tags
fugly, just shoot me