Notices

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The N8 comes with a service called Here and Now. This reads the cell tower information you're currently connected to and opens a web page detailing the current events (cinema listings and weather, for example) near you. I've done a quick port to Maemo 5.

Once launched, it sends your approximate position to Nokia's servers and shows you what's currently going on. As it doesn't use the GPS, it's really quick:

This is really wow !!!!!!!! whoever from Nokia watching this forum see this and we need more from you ........ This community is just awesome and still keeps this device alive and top of everything

Thanks Jaffa !!!!!!!

Works beatifically. So, the icon is just basically a bookmark ?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
So, the icon is just basically a bookmark ?
No, it's more than that. The desktop file calls /usr/bin/here-and-now, a script created by Andrew to work with Nokia's service.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I did also get "Location not detected" when I tried it on T-Mobile network.

After all this is basically similar app than Earthcomber? The exception is that Earthcomber uses GPS for location. Because of that reason the Here and Now likely is more battery friendly, if it worked...

It worked for me earlier at my home. But now I'm at my fiancee's apartment and it doesn't work (guess it has to do with Nokia's mapping of T-Mobile towers).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

i also has the same issue. In my home it worked from one place and from another room it didn't work and shown " location not detected".

I started GPS Jinni and restarted Here and Now, it worked. Can be used as a temp solution until they fix it.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Not all towers in the US send back information in the same way for some reason...

I did something like this 4 or 5 years ago with a J2ME app. I used a standard query then parsed what returned to find the cell towers zip code. I then used that for simple location searches from a very infant Google at the time. I would think this app now uses the geo coordinates which also are reported.

The thing is, the zip code was not always in the same place in a string of returned information and as a result this approach was not very reliable in a small J2ME applet.

Perhaps this kind of thing is what is affecting this app in the USA. I would have hoped it would have been standardized by now.

BTW, sitting at home in Pennsylvania it was very fast. I'll be on the road toward Albany, NY tomorrow and will give it a go along the way.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-04 at 01:37.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Has anyone else tried Here and Now while using AT&T Go Phone? If so, are you finding success? I get "Location not detected", and I wonder if that's due to AT&T, Go Phone, or the towers in my region.
It worked for me with a Go Phone SIM in the SF Bay area.

Everything was within a couple of miles, but this area is pretty dense.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I did also get "Location not detected" when I tried it on T-Mobile network.
I also get a Location not detected in our London office. I wonder if there's some portion of the cid that is required in the URL (say via a bitmask).

Need a device with Nokia's Here and Now client at the same location. Something to test tomorrow (if I remember).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I also get a Location not detected in our London office. I wonder if there's some portion of the cid that is required in the URL (say via a bitmask).
And to balance matters out, Here and Now does succeed from my office. If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot--running a custom, log-generating script in both locations or whatnot--please let me know, Jaffa.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
announcement, here and now, jaffa, location