Active Topics

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by slender View Post
What? Ainīt home cooking depended on what kind of groceries people buy and where they buy? Waste food when home cooking? To me itīs quite close to zero. Or are you talking about whole chain?
It is not you, but what it takes to get good food to the grocery store where you buy your food, and the food that isn't sold. If you are like me there are no uneaten leftovers... until you have kids, that is.

this article mentions a study where over 50% gos to wast. McDonalds is way more efficient than that.

Nokia are good at making phones, and the market is saturated with those phones leaving goth in the high end market, where Nokia is loosing huge ground.

I love the metaphor, with McDonald's. Consumer taste is moving up the ladder to more sophisticated taste and Nokia only has fast food on the menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Nokia invest more in R&D than Apple and I'm sure that will continue, despite the recent fall in profits, which are largely due to write-downs, as was mentioned earlier.

It's true that the ASP of Nokia devices is falling, and Nokia is losing mindshare, but I doubt that this is a threat to Nokia's dominance of the smartphone market. Symbian's lead is set to grow as Nokia dominate sales in developing markets, and all those Symbian devices will have access to Ovi services. However, as a geek, I would like to see Nokia producing truly exciting high-end devices. I think the devices revealed at Nokia World were a good start, even though I'm not too interested in Symbian anymore.

Nokia will be selling mobile devices long after Apple have faded away, I'm sure.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oops.

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...rica-presence/

Heh.Actually just read it and really enjoyed it. You write pretty good analysis and clearly you look your subjects from many perspective. Sadly real experts like you get nowdays ignored by big media.

But there is little hint of Nokia bias but not too much

Last edited by slender; 2010-09-16 at 22:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
But there is little hint of Nokia bias but not too much
I do want them to succeed. If nothing else, I still own NOK stock.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I do want them to succeed. If nothing else, I still own NOK stock.
Couldn't you use one of the new phones in your piece? It's a little pet peeve I have

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't get the McDonald's analogy at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I am shocked to hear that Nokia's profits dropped from $9bn to $300m in just two years. That is the most shocking profit drop I have ever heard and probably one of the greatest drops in history for any company.
You don't read a lot of financial reports, do you?

First, the numbers you quote are not profit but net income. Their gross profit was actually down from 25B in 2007 to 19B in 2009. After you take from this all the operating expenses (R&D, marketing, administrative) taxes, liabilities etc you get the net income. Because it takes time to cut down expenses, a 20% drop in profit can be easily translated to a huge drop in income.

In addition, they're comparing Nokia's best year ever (2007) to Nokia's worst year ever (2009). The 2010 numbers so far are not as bad as 2009. In 2009, there was a huge worldwide financial crisis, which was also a factor, together with more than 1B dollars of non-recurring expenses.

Nokia is definitely in trouble because of shrinking gross margins, lack of presence in the US, lack of commercially successful high-end smartphone, and losses from some of its other devisions (esp. Siemens-Nokia networks), but looking at net income alone gives a distorted picture and make things look worth than they actually are.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Couldn't you use one of the new phones in your piece? It's a little pet peeve I have
The map was the important part.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
There is no point in Nokia producing high end phones unless they have the OS to match it.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
There is no point in Nokia producing high end phones unless they have the OS to match it.
Tell that to Samsung... BADA-Boom

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:

Tags
troll alert, wifries, world hunger