Active Topics

Poll: Are you interested in a Powerpak for N900?
Poll Options
Are you interested in a Powerpak for N900?

N900 doesn't have RETU.

N900 power management consists almost entirely out of off the shelf components from Texas Instruments

TWL4030 "Gaia" energy management chip
bq24150 battery charger
bq27200 fuel gauge (used minimally by maemo)

The software seems to correct itself eventually if battery states change behind its back. The battery meter freezes at some point until the value it froze at is closer to what seems like something closer to the truth. So it'd probably be possible to charge the battery directly behind N900's back, and only have a confused meter as result. Who cares if it goes "boing Battery Low *boing boing*" 12 hours before dying?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I guess that could make things tricky for the likes of Powermat if the N900 is "non-standard" compared with high-end Symbian based devices (fairly sure these did and may still use Retu). A messed up battery meter could be quite annoying though - maybe a software update would fix that, but very unlikely while there is no requirement for such a fix (chicken and egg).

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-07-29 at 19:33.

Well the issue is that it's actually hard to figure out nuch more than "It's full"/It's not full and it's not empty"/"It's empty" after something has gone mess with the battery behind your back.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yeah, because the mats can be used for multiple phones/devices (certainly at home) and the convenience would be great.
so couple hundred bucks once in 3 years is acceptable?

or should it be reasonable to wait and see which technology wins?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by giecsar View Post
The N900 battery.. well let's admit it, sucks. It doesn't last more than a day, so I believe I speak for everyone when I say that given the right price (and maybe a mAh increase) everybody would love to have one.
shame that the right price for majority is something like 50% of the manufacturing costs....
Google Custom Search

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
The 5800 XpressMusic and the N900 do use the same battery. The battery installs with the back facing the battery compartment cover on the 5800/5230 types. It installs with the face facing the battery compartment cover on the N900.

Does this mean that the inductive charging batteries designed for the 5800 won't work in the N900?

Some economy of scale might be achieved if the 5800 inductive charging battery could be released with the inductive charging N900 back. But I suspect that the having a different face to the battery cover will result in having to design and build a separate battery for the N900, a low volume device.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
so couple hundred bucks once in 3 years is acceptable?
Yep, doesn't sound too bad. Of course the investment won't be entirely lost as it will keep on working if/when I give it away to someone as I usually do when I upgrade a phone, but that kind of assumes the rest of the world will have switched over to Qi technology which is by no means certain.

And I refuse to believe people here would balk at spending a couple hundred bucks over 3 years - how much have people spent on their N900s already?

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
or should it be reasonable to wait and see which technology wins?
That would be lovely - in the meantime I'd rather buy something that's here and now. I doubt anything from Qi will materialise this year and probably not next either.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
Does this mean that the inductive charging batteries designed for the 5800 won't work in the N900?
Quite possibly - and likewise the X6.

Until we know more about how Powermat have designed the Powerpaks it's impossible to say for sure - it could well be the reason why the N900 isn't on their list, along with "non-standard" charging hardware and/or the need for a bespoke back cover.

It should all become clear once they launch these things for all the other devices but ours...

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
I'm all for tech and happy to spend money though within reason. You still have to justify the need and then vers cost. They are very costly and the hassle of placing the case on, plug, not being able to use whilst in charge etc, stuff that, pretty much pointless for a phone.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yep, doesn't sound too bad. Of course the investment won't be entirely lost as it will keep on working if/when I give it away to someone as I usually do when I upgrade a phone, but that kind of assumes the rest of the world will have switched over to Qi technology which is by no means certain.

And I refuse to believe people here would balk at spending a couple hundred bucks over 3 years - how much have people spent on their N900s already?

That would be lovely - in the meantime I'd rather buy something that's here and now. I doubt anything from Qi will materialise this year and probably not next either.
the point is the risk. you take a risk that you blew 200 bucks if other technology becomes standard.

it is expensive to be first in line to buy these things.

and second point: charging comes free of charge with the phone. so you are basically paying 200 bucks just for the charging part. too much imo.

just keep in mind that when there is this kind of uncertainty, the guys who spend their money to the technology bare all the risks.
Google Custom Search