Active Topics

Poll: Is My Nokia useful for you?
Poll Options
Is My Nokia useful for you?

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Save yourself while you still can!

MyNokia is of no use to you. Its just spam messages that might end up showing on your phone bill as texts received from abroad.
thanx for the info man, but still i wanna know wat is wrong wz it

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
IT's just that those "My Nokia" text messages will (I'm 100% certain about this) not reach those who didn't upgrade. The registration at My Nokia was forced after the PR1.2 upgrade (without a possibility to decline), and I cannot image any N900 user registered there before PR1.2.
Interesting. I did not do OTA (I flashed 1.2) and did not have to register. In fact, MyNokia did not come up at all during the boot after the flash. I have it in settings, I started it once, but seeing the War & Peace sized license agreement I just tapped outside the dialog and it went back to settings, so can't say it was too pushy.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I never got any messages. How would Nokia get my phone number, after all? I never told it what my number was and I don't think there's a service that self-gets phone numbers.

I have it enabled (by default) but since I never got anything I guess they either have nothing to say or they can't say anything. Both suite me fine.

And, as far as I care, auto-subscribing people to anything is bad, low and illegal. In the US, there's the opt-out policy that allows anyone to send you anything and it's up to you to unsubscribe. I believe this to be a steaming pile of lobbying. In EU, it's all opt-in, meaning the best they can do is offer. Decline or don't reply and you're off the list.

I think that the database by itself is bordering illegal. I'm already a bit angry with them for making me send them my location for assisted geolocation. Now that they have IMEI, number and location, I've just been placed in a database with (maybe) name, exact location, phone number, model, IMEI, where I purchased it (IMEI) and what carrier I'm on.

IMO, it's a bit more that it's needed. One of these days, the database will "leak" or "get hacked" or "stolen", or whatever they say it happened. Some smuck will get fired and I'm left in databases forever.

I don't want my name, number and exact location to ever be in the same database. Let alone whatever else they may have (maps search history, routes).

Let's see who's laughing when they have a joint venture with Google.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
...I cannot image any N900 user registered there before PR1.2.
Ooh! Me! Me! I did!

Shortly after the release of the N900, some new community members complained they'd received firmware upgrade notifications from My Nokia even though the first firmware update for the N900 hadn't been released yet. The messages were along the lines of:
Originally Posted by My Nokia SMS
My Nokia Tip: New software is available for your Nokia phone. To update and enjoy great new features go to http://www.nokiausa.com/softwareupdate on your PC.
The problem appears to have been the vagueness of the SMS message combined with people having previously owned, and registered with My Nokia, other Nokia phones. Anyway, as some posters claimed this didn't account for their messages, I signed up with My Nokia to see if I could figure anything out.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Ooh! Me! Me! I did!
Good boy.

Originally Posted by whateva View Post
MyNokia its not a new thing ive been using it for some time on n95.
this service sends usefull information about your device every couple days. some of the things ive already known and some were new to me.
it can text you with information about all sorts of shortcuts, news, general phone usage.
it doeasnt cost you a penny so dont complaint about it after first news just because you have already know that
It did cost me - it has sent an SMS to Nokia for which I had to pay for. I do not remember reading about it in any EULA.

The Following User Says Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
Really? Shouldn't it show up in Conversations? I have no such thing.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Really? Shouldn't it show up in Conversations? I have no such thing.
It does not show up in the conversations, but it does show up in my billing.

If Nokia sent an SMS with no logging and not enough prior warning then what we need is a big mallet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post: