Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Steve Jobs is a tw@t.

He is boasting about removing choice.

I think his dodgy liver is poisoning his mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I am still VERY skeptical of MeeGo as well.

One sure-fire way Intel to make MeeGo a success is to commoditize its hardware, but I don't think they're that desperate yet. Mobile business is still too ludicrously profitable to commoditize so soon. They've found so many interesting business models to milk us dry from, they will try very hard to join the current mobile business patterns.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
if that ever happens. Intel have been working on some variant of moblin for years now with few actual products using it.

its almost like they are holding it over microsofts head saying "provide cheap windows for low power devices, or else".
Actually I just read an article recently where Intel more or less made such a statement to Microsoft but with MeeGo (naturally at this point) being the brandished weapon.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@johnel: here's my take on the logic behind his design...

Think of it this way.

The iPhone is like Disneyland.

It has a very controlled entry point and they've designed and polished everything you can do within their system to be top notch (UI, ergonomics, performance, etc), as long as you stick within their 'rails'. But you can't get out of the allowed play zones. Everything beyond that is 'cast members only'.

Like any theme parks, they always try to make new zones for the visitors to enjoy; you can see how different the initial iPhone release with what it can do today and it will continue to grow to cater to more users' needs. That is one way for them to continue to gain their marketshare and maintain their competitive edge against Android and Maemo.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Actually I just read an article recently where Intel more or less made such a statement to Microsoft but with MeeGo (naturally at this point) being the brandished weapon.
ugh, i hate being right about these sort of things.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
choice

http://www.adobe.com/choice/flash.html

I use my stylus for scratching the inside of my ear. Totally not giving that thing up.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Its obvious that Meego is basically a pawn for Intel and not a major weapon. They simply want to play in every field and by partnering with Nokia and others saved themselves some R&D money. If Meego becomes even modestly successful they will be happy.

Same goes for Nokia if Meego devices don't sell extremely well but gain mindshare as very capable touchscreen devices that can compete with Android, iPhone etc they will be very happy. Symbian based devices pushed down in price and sold in Asia and Africa is where their bread will be buttered and they know it, they just need to convince their shareholders they are still market leaders.

On topic - Flash is going nowhere as long as every browser on a desktop has it installed. On mobile sure, but the switch from video access going from desktop/laptop to mobile is still 2 years away in the west.
The only place where it might matter is Asia where mobile internet dominates, but Apple isn't ready to compete at that price point anyway.