Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It can be done with hardware. There is enough room inside the back of the phone for a multi card adapter like this >>. http://www.simore.eu/en/Dual_SIM-168...M_Platinum.php

Once PR1.2 hits and you can dial USSD codes perhaps their software can be accessed or other software written.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK-PAX
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
You can put your credit card info in a .txt file too, but nobody seems to be too concerned...

Being able to rip sim cards and use images of them in the software would be awesome, but I doubt it's possible. Reading and using the SIM is a hardware/firmware-level thing AFAIK.
data from credit cards in txt files - those are from magnetic strip of the card not the chip itself. there is some info in magnetic strip you could use fraudulently including long card number, this can be used on the internet shops or copied on another magnetic strip of a blank card but can't be used to program a chip on another card. same story as with simcards. security is quite good - i'm not saying impossible to crack, however hardware/firmware to get it done it's not widely available and also time needed to crack the KO code is an issue.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK-PAX
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It can be done with hardware. There is enough room inside the back of the phone for a multi card adapter like this >>. http://www.simore.eu/en/Dual_SIM-168...M_Platinum.php

Once PR1.2 hits and you can dial USSD codes perhaps their software can be accessed or other software written.
just to clarify, even with multi sim adapter you will only be able to use one sim at any given time (that is providing you can make N900 work with it). to have 2 SIMs working together you need two radio modules in the phone.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by young-jedi View Post
just to clarify, even with multi sim adapter you will only be able to use one sim at any given time (that is providing you can make N900 work with it). to have 2 SIMs working together you need two radio modules in the phone.
That is correct young Jedi and no software will overcome that. You need two radios to be able to run them concurrently. Unless you devote all your CPU cycles to some kind of multi-plex scheme or swap soft radios. Even then there is no telling how a network would act if you were rapidly switching. It would pro'ly just drop you completely until the tower received a stable signal.

Motorola introduced quad radios in a handset 2 or 3 years ago. But that was on iDEN and you were still identified by a single electronic serial number (hashed from 1 SIM). The radios were/are used primarily for packet data. Nextel shut their WiDEN system down because of capacity issues but their are plenty of private networks in airports, or on large business, and university campus's that still use it.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Well, our N900 doesn't have 2 or 4 radios to support multiple SIMs simultaneosly...

The we can use the virtual SIM to switch between operators.
Just do not pre judge the legality of this utility. Consider what would be useful and versatile than the N900 with a software like this.

For peace of all the cellular network does not allow two or more lines or numbers, simultaneously. The second line would be blocked and the operator would contact us to approach his office to review the hitorial calls and data.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
Dual sims do work in the 900,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh57kQc9DRc

and talking to the gentleman who created the vid, there is a builtin timer you can use to switch back and forth btween cards. using a service like Google Voice; would eliminate the need to switch back as you could forward calls to one or the other sim card.
Since there is only 1 GSM radio in the device having a virtual radio would be the way to go.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...al+sim+adapter

interesting thread on Dual sims.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AgentZ For This Useful Post:
i have been looking for this kind of a virtual sim... this will be very useful for me when i travel - for use in airports and when i go from country to country...

it should allow you to switch to the local country sim card by clicking on some app in the maemo desktop..

any more ideas?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hgroove View Post
Well, our N900 doesn't have 2 or 4 radios to support multiple SIMs simultaneosly...

The we can use the virtual SIM to switch between operators.
Just do not pre judge the legality of this utility. Consider what would be useful and versatile than the N900 with a software like this.

For peace of all the cellular network does not allow two or more lines or numbers, simultaneously. The second line would be blocked and the operator would contact us to approach his office to review the hitorial calls and data.
first things first. Please go ahead and crack the needed code from a sim-card. Tell us when you are ready and we start crafting new driver to radio chip...

...or of course you can stay in your imaginationland and keep on dreaming and posting here how cool such feature would be...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Wouldn't this invite the ability to put copies of SIM cards on torrent sites or whatever. People could just download random SIM's at will and use them. Sounds evil to me.
That would be fun

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sands.m View Post
That would be fun
which part? the part when police comes knocking behind your door after your devices IMEI is blacklisted and therefore your device is gsm/3g bricked for life?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search