Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Thx, that list is a good start. But its not enough. We need more mobile vendors.
Google, microsoft and apple will eat the market. I think nokia will have bigger and bigger problems with symbian and meego.

Also, I dont know what most of the companies/organisation. I will check them out.
The key difference with MeeGo is that technically it’s more bottom-up (as opposed to Google’ top-down approach). This is also reflected by the supporters - for now, you will see mostly system-level/firmware companies in there. This is natural, there is little for the top-level folks currently. In this sense it’s a ’build it and they will come’ philosophy.

As for the list of companies, I wouldn’t read too much into it, this is all standard marketing stuff without any tangible commitment (though if all those Linux vendors in there provide not just lip-service but really adopt MeeGo and its upstream-first policy, this could easily be the biggest Linux offensive on the mobile market, ever). What I personally found interesting in the list is the relatively high number of companies from the far east - you’ve got a whole lot of China/Korea/Taiwan/Japan in there (and I’m not talking about just companies operating from there, but also in those markets).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
if you want to attract a lot of developers then1 think just must be very easy and that is the development tools.. Yes also on windows, it must be more like download, install, next,next, finnish and you are up and running with a development environment that can do emulated and or on device debugging

this is how it works for android, its just an eclipse plugin that can be installed as far as i know on all oss's with on device debugging.

so its tooling,tooling,tooling if you ask me. i hope that QT Creator will go in that direction asap..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Whats this in referance to?
The thread subject, of course. More specifically, events around it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
What to say... The alliance:
Intel - unforgettable Intel Dot Station... they want conquer the net. No comment.
Asus/Acer - launch of firsts eeePc. Linux as OS (free OS, more money). Only a bunch sold. Fast renovation of stocks installing XP-7. eeePC sells like candies.

Intel only wins (until now...) making processors. But eeePCs are showing "mortals" that you really don't need hyper-power PCs at home...
My bet? People (I'm not speaking of geeks) don't look anymore for Intel Inside, and they don't want estrange OS unknown for them.
They want the Google apps, or they want Apple design, they don't know anything about the OS of their mobile...
So Apple for girls, Android for boys... and yes, Nokia for geeks, only for geeks.
I'm not trolling, seriously. Ask your neighborhood about multitasking, VPN, root...
Anyone really, REALLY, thinks Nokia "alliance" has any chance to beat Google?
And now blame me.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Maemo is better than MeeGo.
Nokia doesn't give a damn about it's customers.
Ari Jaaki is only just talks.

Bad marketing scheme and plots. If it wasn't for the community, the N900 would have been a total failure since day 1. Nokia should thank the community. I totally thankful with how helpful and resourceful the people on this forum provided me with apps and free adviced.

SO THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-04-25 at 12:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
if you want to attract a lot of developers then1 think just must be very easy and that is the development tools.. Yes also on windows, it must be more like download, install, next,next, finnish and you are up and running with a development environment that can do emulated and or on device debugging

this is how it works for android, its just an eclipse plugin that can be installed as far as i know on all oss's with on device debugging.

so its tooling,tooling,tooling if you ask me. i hope that QT Creator will go in that direction asap..
This guy read my mind, exactly what Meego MUST be instead of all the haggling with installs currently and thats not a knock for this community but it must head in the direction of installing to finish WITHOUT cocking up the OS or needing another part of it to be "re-programmed", there are many problems right now as expected because Meamo does not have a solid base to work too, lets hope Meego does to enable every programmer solid direction.
As for the so called "backing" of many companies , its all talk at the moment and i am sure they will soon drop out when they realise not enough gain financially so time will tell.
I am very much an optimist but i have to take a pessimistic view on this one purely because of the so called "openess" of Meego.
For Meego to be open as people think then all source code must be available for hardware and this i feel is where the problem will begin.

Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
What to say... The alliance:
Intel - unforgettable Intel Dot Station... they want conquer the net. No comment.
Asus/Acer - launch of firsts eeePc. Linux as OS (free OS, more money). Only a bunch sold. Fast renovation of stocks installing XP-7. eeePC sells like candies.

Intel only wins (until now...) making processors. But eeePCs are showing "mortals" that you really don't need hyper-power PCs at home...
My bet? People (I'm not speaking of geeks) don't look anymore for Intel Inside, and they don't want estrange OS unknown for them.
They want the Google apps, or they want Apple design, they don't know anything about the OS of their mobile...
So Apple for girls, Android for boys... and yes, Nokia for geeks, only for geeks.
I'm not trolling, seriously. Ask your neighborhood about multitasking, VPN, root...
Anyone really, REALLY, thinks Nokia "alliance" has any chance to beat Google?
And now blame me.
There you go a perfect example of the problems with Meamo and its unknownities to many many, so he is right no way will Nokia win the day with geekish software cos this world loves to live a simple life especially when it comes to mobile equipment of any sort.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
bad marketing scheme and plots. If it wasn't for the community, the N900 would have been a total failure since day 1. Nokia should thank the community. I totally thankful with how helpful and resourceful the people on this forum provided me with apps and free adviced.

SO THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!
reading posts like yours (incl. the lines removed meanwhile) i find i don't want to be part of that community you're referring to.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
reading posts like yours (incl. the lines removed meanwhile) i find i don't want to be part of that community you're referring to.
Benny can you actually understand what this guy is saying?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Well you already is a part of it. The removed lines was just a way to say that Nokia is somewhat useless in providing their customers with respect and other factors. I am sure that there are plenty of people really disappointed in Nokia's move recently. i've been a long term Nokia user since the first 3G Nokia arrived on the market and have owned 4 generation N-series. I got to say that Nokia is losing grib right now.

Word can mean different things in different country of your origin. But yes the community is great though some are really is a totally Nokian fan! and blindly see only just good things Nokia did but not the bad one. I don't meant to offending any body here. I Just want a part of the free speech society. Nothing is perfect in the world, not to mention in this forum! Neither me or you is perfect. We all sharing the same air that we breathe. But we are different in many single ways.

You have the right to not be a part of the community. The community wasn't formed by one person.. It is a bunch of people from all different background just like Linux, Windows and Mac.

Sorry i've gone off the topic forgive me.