Active Topics

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
btw: don't forget QtCreator.
madde is command line tools only, QtCreator is a qt centric ide, madde integrates with QtCreator and QtCreator in turn integrates Qt Designer, a graphic tool to build graphic user interfaces.
Thanks for the heads up, I think Qt installs the Qt Designer as well.

QT does seem a bit slow loading up.. might be my Arch box. Might have to distro hop.

Just looking at all the compiling process, and it seems such an effort. I suppose I understand that it needs to compile on the CPU it will execute, but still...

I am starting to see why people choose puthon!

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
How can you said
With Python and PyQT, this is probably the EASIEST PHONE EVER TO DEVELOP FOR.
PyQT isn't really available yet ... Some libs are not available yet (PR1.2) ... programs doesn't have the maemo look and feel ... (look at a QTextField) ... and pyside isn't ready yet too ... it' s still the 0.2.0 available in the repository ...

Really !!! For easier development for Maemo 5, i think Glade // PyGTK is far away better !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
When it comes to C++ and Qt I have noticed, that the best solution is a clean kubuntu installation, then you have to install step by step all the necessary stuff to have scratchbox running. Then setup wireless network with your device. ssh to your device and voila perfect environment for building apps Easy to browse through the device using konqueror and sftp, easy copying with scp, you run the stuff on the device, you get debug output on the screen.

The rest:

Madde/Qt -> to simple
Virtual Image with Esbox -> it is just ubunutu and Eclipse crashes almost every second time I try to compile a little bit more complicated project. It messes up timestamps in the build. Very unusable stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to rachol For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by TheAccountant View Post
I am starting to see why people choose puthon!
See these slides PyQt Application Development On Maemo

There are some benefits of using C++ and Python as well as disadvantages. For me I use Python on Fedora 12, and very easy to use and almost exactly scales to Maemo (except the device specific code which I will yet to discover) It might be slower comparing C++ execution but that is a trade-off I can live with it since eventually we will see higher spec CPU's in the future.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
PyQT isn't really available yet ... Some libs are not available yet (PR1.2) ... programs doesn't have the maemo look and feel ... (look at a QTextField) ... and pyside isn't ready yet too ... it' s still the 0.2.0 available in the repository ...
You're talking about PySide. PyQt is fully available in maemo.org Extras, along with several PyQt applications.

As for look and feel issues, it's unrelated to PySide/PyQt and depends solely on the version of Qt you're using, 4.6 is much better in that regard and PyQt with Qt4.6 supports all the extra Maemo5 classes (PySide is actually a bit lagging with those).

And, as shown in the thread above, the Qt4.6 edition of PyQt is already available for developers, no PR1.2 needed.

Really !!! For easier development for Maemo 5, i think Glade // PyGTK is far away better !
I don't want to get into a toolkit war, but GTK+ on Maemo effectively died on the first day of the 2009 Maemo Summit, when official Qt support was announced for Fremantle.

Originally Posted by morusaka View Post
Thank you Attila77 for your reply.
Could you please give me a hint of how to use "VNC+sshfs"?
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Great to know that I don't need a scratchbox. Could you tell me a Maemo specific tutorial around for VNC+sshfs ? Or give me some basic steps if I am not asking too much
I plan on doing a video tutorial, just to demo people how easy it is to do PyQt stuff on Maemo. I must warn you that I'm not an Eclipse fan so will probably do the demo with Eric or Wing as the desktop IDE, but I think that will not be a hindrance

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I plan on doing a video tutorial, just to demo people how easy it is to do PyQt stuff on Maemo. I must warn you that I'm not an Eclipse fan so will probably do the demo with Eric or Wing as the desktop IDE, but I think that will not be a hindrance
Video tutorial would be greater I linked your slide on one of my above replies. attila77 name was looking familiar and just realized that you are the PyQt maintainer

Although I mostly use VIM+IPython (GVIM+IPython with Conque plug-in) I sometimes switch to Eclipse+PyDev since it provides great debugging features, and I am familiar with the interface for a few years. I will give PlutHon a try and see how it works. I also see the PC Connectivity package. Probably these should lead me easy device communication than using Bluetooth or USB plugging.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
And, as shown in the thread above, the Qt4.6 edition of PyQt is already available for developers,
Hum ... depends of type of developers ... i'm an onboard developer ... so not available for me

Yeah ... PyQt is available i know, but hum ... your code need tweak to get the real fremantle look and feel.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hum ... depends of type of developers ... i'm an onboard developer ... so not available for me
I held back the Qt4.6 package from extras-devel due to the PR1.2/repo brokenness, but the armel debs themselves are available to enterprising souls from that thread for over two weeks now

Yeah ... PyQt is available i know, but hum ... your code need tweak to get the real fremantle look and feel.
Think about that customization as you would about hildonization of a GTK+ application (it's actually less fuss under Qt). It's not THAT big of an issue, really (esp with 4.6 around the corner even for end-users)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Video tutorial would be greater I linked your slide on one of my above replies. attila77 name was looking familiar and just realized that you are the PyQt maintainer
Uhm, and I thought my signature gave me away...

Although I mostly use VIM+IPython (GVIM+IPython with Conque plug-in)
I'm a big fan of VI(M) and IPython myself

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: