Active Topics

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
a warning to all n900 buyers-before maemo 5 -which is the software on the n900 there was maemo 4 and the internet tablets n810 n800 and going back further the n770

one of the main selling points of the tablets was the gps function-wayfinder provided the maps but then last month wayfinder was closed down by vodafone and suddenly with no prior warning to tablet owners gps does not work-no support

their is a lesson here and it is simple one -there is no guarantee that nokia will stand by its products-

before you go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a product with maemo os -such as the n900 or the internet tablets bare in mind that the same thing can happen to you
Have you actually got an N810 with Wayfinder - because you are talking absolute rot and garbage.

I have an N810, and a valid wayfinder licence (expires 2011), and it is working ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Yes, now wayfinder have gone, I cannot renew my licence, but I would not have done anyway.

Yes, there has been no map updates for a couple of years, but I have not come across a road that I have used which has been missing.

Yes, there is no support, but I have only used it a couple of times - not a dealbreaker.

The game has changed in the last few months - I recently bought a Nokia phone for £80 (100 euros) which has free voice guided maps anyway so I have an alternative which is more modern anyway.

Before my NITs I had a garmin sat-nav which cost more, and nagged at me to purchase new maps everytime I turned it on, once I had owned it for a year without any option to turn the nag off - now thats a bad product.

So yes Yukop4 - I have risen to Troll bait - now go and crawl back under your rock and shut the .... up unless you have something constructive to say.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
this thread is "Total FUD".

Wayfinder has discontinued new maps, traffic and speed camera updates, but you can use Wayfinder till your licence expires. Some have had problems with the server, myself included. However I emailed them and the problem was resolved in a day. Wayfinder has served me well for three years. Disappointed that it will be gone by year end. Nokia and Vodafone really missed a trick by not making widely available. I can only hope MeeGo in-vehicle platform will produce something just as good that I can install on my N800. And maybe still keep my Carman OBD2 + GPS going.

The Following User Says Thank You to ozen78 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Have you actually got an N810 with Wayfinder - because you are talking absolute rot and garbage.

I have an N810, and a valid wayfinder licence (expires 2011), and it is working ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Yes, now wayfinder have gone, I cannot renew my licence, but I would not have done anyway.

Yes, there has been no map updates for a couple of years, but I have not come across a road that I have used which has been missing.

Yes, there is no support, but I have only used it a couple of times - not a dealbreaker.

The game has changed in the last few months - I recently bought a Nokia phone for £80 (100 euros) which has free voice guided maps anyway so I have an alternative which is more modern anyway.

Before my NITs I had a garmin sat-nav which cost more, and nagged at me to purchase new maps everytime I turned it on, once I had owned it for a year without any option to turn the nag off - now thats a bad product.

So yes Yukop4 - I have risen to Troll bait - now go and crawl back under your rock and shut the .... up unless you have something constructive to say.
ok troll

flash your unit

then try and reload the maps

it does not accept the licence key

error message comes up

you got it dimwit

then try and

Originally Posted by ozen78 View Post
this thread is "Total FUD".

Wayfinder has discontinued new maps, traffic and speed camera updates, but you can use Wayfinder till your licence expires. Some have had problems with the server, myself included. However I emailed them and the problem was resolved in a day. Wayfinder has served me well for three years. Disappointed that it will be gone by year end. Nokia and Vodafone really missed a trick by not making widely available. I can only hope MeeGo in-vehicle platform will produce something just as good that I can install on my N800. And maybe still keep my Carman OBD2 + GPS going.
rubbish
the problem has not been resolved
the servers were taken down and you cannot renew your licence key
try it
flash your unit and see if it will work

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This of course doesn't mean I can't use gps on my N800, my N810, or my N900. I think your basic complaint, though absurdly overstated, is right. So go find companies that don't do bad things. I don't know of any.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
ok troll

flash your unit

then try and reload the maps

it does not accept the licence key

error message comes up

you got it dimwit

then try and
You're missing the point of the problem. The service no longer operates, ergo you can't download maps from them. If you delete your maps (or reflash without a backup), then you can be annoyed at them for pulling the map downloads, but you can't blame them for the fact that you deleted the copy you had. "When in doubt, backup" is pretty standard doctrine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
then try and
Try what? Don't leave us hanging!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Do they run a DRM activation server which is not in service anymore?
This would explain that reinstalling or even backing up (the install files) will not work anymore.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

yes they do and thats the problem-judging from other threads a lot of tablet users having been left stranded-including those people out there that want to purchase new units

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Got to agree on this one because Nokia has not made any statement whatsoever direct to us regarding the future of the N900, everything said on this forum is pure speculation at the moment, Nokia not giving out anything to us owners of the N900 is a sure sign of them dumping us altogether. IF they do then it can only come under the law of false advertising surely ?
Starting to get very serious now.
idk friend... i mean, nokia never promised us a app store. i mean they said coming soon but they didn't say how many apps. may be perhaps disingenuous but give it time who knows what is still yet to come in ovi. the n900 is only limited by lack of apps. in quality and quanity. hardware wise they gave you every single thing they said they would. unless i am mistaken.

only thing i know for a fact they lied about is mms. but thats what i get for listening to customer service reps. new lesson learned again for the umteenth time. GET IT IN WRITING!

Tags
enough., fanbois, fightinfanbois, fud, opinion=fanboi, trolling, whydoievenreply