Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Like I said, it depends on your usecase...
I find myself reading a lot of magazines on a 9.7" tablet... and most PDF and docs are formatted for A4\letter pages.
Yes, I end up printing those. Just my job, plus TMO, are enough to make my eyes bleed from staring into the lamp of a backlit screen. I recently bought my wife subscriptions to Time and National Geographic from Amazon for peanuts, real paper magazines...

Without resizing? Displayed with fonts that you don't need to squint to read?

They started out targetting 14"-15" screens with 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution afterall.
A 7'' screen at 10'' distance looks the same as a 14'' screen at 20''. Resolution is not a problem (look at N900).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Yes, I end up printing those. Just my job, plus TMO, are enough to make my eyes bleed from staring into the lamp of a backlit screen. I recently bought my wife subscriptions to Time and National Geographic from Amazon for peanuts, real paper magazines...
Sure, printouts have their own pros and cons...
Translating paper workflows into computer systems have been the holy grail of computers industry for sometime now. There are reasons for that too.

A 7'' screen at 10'' distance looks the same as a 14'' screen at 20''. Resolution is not a problem (look at N900).
As mentioned in previous post, resolution is not the issue. It's more of an ergonomic issue...

You'd probably have a problem if your time\natgeo subscriptions come in 40% smaller format, even if they come with loupes or an instruction manual of new and convenient ways of holding the magazines closer to your eyes
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
We need modular devices.
lol, I read that quick and thout you wrote "we need molecular devices"!

What I'm interested in is units that have a combined e-ink and LCD dsplay, switchable between the two. I love that idea and think it's the best solution for bona fide reading situations, regular notebook usage, and prolonged battery life. I'd get a 7 or a 10 inch of such a tablet.

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-04-18 at 15:19.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I've said for some time, what we really need are glasses and gloves. If you virtualize I/O you can have a Theatrical experience on the trolley to work. {Please don't do this while driving :-) }

The only use of a "Box" would then be to "Plug in/connect" to other devices....

Tags
innuendo