Notices

Originally Posted by rpariseau View Post
You missed my point: WHY is all this not AUTOMATED?
You underestimate the majority of people and their willingness/ability to download, install, and set up software.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/mos...ent;contentNav

And, the directory is "downloads/dic". Is that so obscure? (No "." required, btw.)

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by rpariseau View Post
rebhana: Your instructions are all very nice BUT ...

1. All this MUST BE AUTOMATED for all us commoner (non-Linux geeks) users.
I'm really the wrong address for your demands - I'm just one of the many users who takes advantage of the fact that this device allows some geeks to develop applications and to share them for FREE. And I'm sharing what I have found out equally for FREE. That's what this community is about.

If you want guarantees that everything is completely automated, stick to ovi store perhaps. Nobody forced e.g. qstardict onto you. You are FREE to pick something else. Rather, when installing it you have been warned that you are installing something not coming from Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oskarmat View Post
Hi,

after installing Qstardict on your n900,

go to

http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down2/inde...ormat=StarDict

and download the dictionaries you want.

Extract them in a folder in your pc.

Connect the n900 via usb and create a folder for the dictionaries (e.g. documents\dict)

copy all of the extracted dictionaries from the computer to the n900 folder that you just created.

disconnect the n900 from the pc and open the qstardict app.

Go to Menu\COnfigure
plugins tab
stardict (make sure a V is on its left)

and click on the wrench tool. Then click on the plus and point it the folder where you previously put the dictionaries.
go back and select the "dictionaries" tab

make sure all the dictionaries are listed and have a V (meaning they are active)

That's it

let me know if it's not clear.
Hi, i have downloaded the dictionary file and with the use of winrar i unzipped it as well. I then saved the unzipped file inside documents/dictionary folder. I unplugged my n900 and started qstardict application, selected configure, then plugins and added that location into the list. But when i go back to dictionaries, there is nothing in the list. And my qstardict application doesnot show any words till now.
Please help me out.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
i hav followde the instructions too.. i have installed the dictionaries german-english and english-german.....but if i type in " hund " or "katze" which is in english " dog" and "cat".... qstar says: the word "hund" and "katze" ist not found... come, this can't be true... those words must be in a dictionar!!! how can this happen? all dicts are activated with " v " .... so what is wrong?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by oskarmat View Post

Go to Menu\COnfigure
plugins tab
stardict (make sure a V is on its left)

and click on the wrench tool. Then click on the plus and point it the folder where you previously put the dictionaries.
go back and select the "dictionaries" tab

make sure all the dictionaries are listed and have a V (meaning they are active)

That's it

let me know if it's not clear.

After several hours of work, I finally managed to copy the files into directory /home/user/MyDocs/stardict/dic

Then I start QStarDict, go to configure -> Plugins, select stardict and click on the wrench tool. List of directories is shown. I click +.
Now I can navigate in some sort of directory sturcture, but it seems to be different from what I see with X Terminal.
Anyway, I found a directory stardict/dic and go there. But it says "No files/folders". I wonder if this is the directory I created?
When I click on the directory name, it is added to the list in stardict plugin settings as /home/user/MyDocs/stardict/dic. And it appears it was already there, so now it is listed twice.
Then I go to Dictionaries tab. And there are no dictionaries listed.

What is the problem?
How can I get QStarDict to recognize the dictionaries?
Why is the directory structure seen in QStarDict different from the directory structure seen in X Terminal?
Had I moved the files in /home/user/.stardict/dic as suggested in some instructions, how could I navigate there since such directories are not seen in QStarDict?

I think the directory you want is just "dic" in the root ("root" as viewed on a computer when connected through USB).

So on my PC it's just "M:\dic"

(Although I don't even use Qstardict anymore, after deciding that Mstardict is far superior in interface and functionality.)

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Haha. I am a Linux geek and it all makes sense to me. But my issue is I can't see any links to download any dictionaries on the page referenced.

Can someone share an English dictionary please?

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Ahh ha!
I used Firefox Mobile and the links appeared.

Move right along, nothing to see here :-)

sourforge's roundrobin automatic mirrror thing usually sucks.
I managed to get dictionaries with lynx/links, but not with firefox (addblock+, norefer, or some other plugin made it disfunctional.)

I have /home/user/.stardict.d/stardict, which is a softlink to /home/user/MyDocs/stardict/, where is directory dic, and there is then directories which came from those tar.bz2 files.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-03-29 at 21:24.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I have /home/user/.stardict.d/stardict, which is a softlink to /home/user/MyDocs/stardict/, where is directory dic, and there is then directories which came from those tar.bz2 files.
(I wonder why above configuration worked, although the directory name was wrong.)

But not anymore.
I noticed MStarDict is much better in N900.
MStarDict wants its dictionaries in /home/user/MyDocs/mstardict/
So untarring those downloaded tarballs there makes MStarDict working.

To get QstarDict working with the same dictionaries, I have now
/home/user/.stardict/ where is a softlink "dic" to /home/user/MyDocs/mstardict/
...to get both applications to work with same dictionaries.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-03-29 at 22:17. Reason: got both MStarDict and QStarDict work with the same directory

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Tags
help wanted, qtstardict