Active Topics

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I just don't get why people think a N900 is so hard to use as a phone, at least not compared to similar touch-screen units. Comparisons to dumb phones aren't fair. I think it works better than the G1 it replaced.

Iuse use it for my only personal phone (no land line) and primary business phone. 15-20 calls a day, about 2000 minutes a month. No problem.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Also, the image on the phone does not appear while it is in my pocket due to the sensor that causes it to stay off when near an object.
Wonder if my proximity sensor is defective... turns on to answer screen when not near my face.

I use it as a phone, but I don't use any phone that much. It's part of the reason I love the device--that it does have a phone within, but isn't really one. But now I don't have to carry a phone anymore.
And if you read the product pages for the device Nokia hardly ever uses the word 'phone'; it's a mobile computer.
Sounds like the OP is more a phone user than I, and perhaps isn't a good fit for the device. But what I have used of it, only the too-low call volume is a bother.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
primary phone. best phone ever. does lack functionality but im fine with that till the updates.

use as a phone with no problems- but i lock it.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
I am using it as a PMP device mainly, but it seems you need to get rid of those "skinny jeans" and get some comfort fit pants.

ps...he shouldn't need a case. A phone shouldn't answer while you're picking it up. Also, check the features. Can't you select, "press this to answer" or something like that?

Yeah, lock the phone and you shouldn't have issues.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Yes - it's my phone. I only use one phone at a time, otherwise my life gets too complicated.

There have been a couple of times when it flipped landscape/portrait on me - but, by and large, it works well as a phone for me.

A better call log would be good - but that's far and away balanced by the smooth integration of Skype and "ordinary" phone.

It's also my handheld browser/communications device - moving to being a handheld desktop/laptop. Nice package.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I use it as a Skype phone. Only got a data plan through T-mobile so its a VoIP handset for me. Never hand any issues using it with Google Voice and Skype other than I get the occasional random incoming Skype call with no one on the other side.

My primary phone and it works for me. I keep it locked when I am carrying it though.

It works well as a phone for me. Although I use other features much more often.