Active Topics

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
@OP - If you want to share information from a Windows machine to the N900 you could always go the other way and use Unix services support on Windows and see if that helps. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you can post a use case then we might be able to suggest something slightly different that accomplishes your aim.

Thanks for replying in thread.

Well i have three machines. Each sharing certain things like printers and media files. I have them all done through samba since people I live with use windows and like access to those devices. All I want to do is access those shares with my N900 using the wireless network i have in my house. I can already ssh to all of them and that is fantastic but definitely would like share mounting abilities. Also would like to be able to come home mount my N900 share and simply copy files to and from it.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Are you hosting the printer and other shares on a main desktop or everything directly to the router via wireless?

If you have a host machine running Linux then I suspect your easiest route at present would be to mount volumes on there and tunnel through.

UPnP is a potential option here, especially for windows i suspect.The easiest long term option would be a NAS device and rsync up to it.

If you need to go direct then have a look at progress on Wizard Mount.

Just an after thought, what about using a webserver for sharing too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Nope, everything is shared through pc's.

I will hold out for a while before I decide. Maybe I will look into wizard moutn.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Hmm is there no way to use mass storage mode to sync with any mass storage mode supporting music player (doesn't seem to see the n900 at all).

Though I could just drag and drop like I normally do. Just thought I'd give it a shot.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I'm also having a problem connecting my N900 to my car's Dension Gateway 300, USB box.

Basically doesn't mount the mass storage memory.

I've also since tried with my Toshiba TV, where it crashes the TV, I've got to switch it off and back on to get the remote working.

Is their a fault with the implementation of USB mass storage?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
I tested yesterday coonecting the N900 as an usb storage device to my notebook running Karmic, and I'm sure there is something weird in the usb implementation.

At first try two N900 icons appear (there's no sd card in my N900). Sometimes, I cannot even browse any of the icons. Other times, one or the other of the two icons change their image to a "sheet of paper" becoming totally irresponsive and cannot even be opened in Nautilus.

Sometimes I have to unplug and replug in order to get one of the icons (the one with DCIM, Mac OS, ...). I was going crazy looking for MyDocs directory until a I learnt by reading this thread about the hidden directories.

With my N800 it works flawlessly.

Has someone reported a bug?

If the device says it cannot be connected because it says it is in use and your /home/user/MyDocs cannot be unmounted and

lsof /home/user/MyDocs

gives you nothing (if it output something, that something would need to be stopped first), you can unmout it manually in terminal with:

umount -l /home/user/MyDocs

Took me two hours to learn this the other day.

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
If the device says it cannot be connected because it says it is in use [...]

you can unmout it manually in terminal with:

umount -l /home/user/MyDocs
What distro are you using?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-11-27 at 10:57. Reason: add quote for context

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
What distro are you using?
Ubuntu, but I was talking about N900 itself.