Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
mail for exchange is listed in the official specifications and should take care of synchronisation with an exchange environment.
this software is avaliable for s60 for quite some time now, and it works great, i use it constantly.
so no need for active sync or pc suite.

i didn't really miss subfolder support, because when i'm going somewhere only the most recent messages are of interest anyways.
but since the n900 is marketed as an always-on mobile computer maybe they improved mail for exchange as well.

the version of modest for earlier tablets did support multiple folders, so i think it's not too far fetched to assume the maemo5 version will do so too

EDIT:
one thing to keep in mind is of course the fact that you need a properly set up server to be able to sync with. a working outlook client alone is not a viable sync target for mail for exchange.
Attached Images

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-09-22 at 01:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by handrea View Post

In general do you think that buy and use an N-series device in business environment could be a mistake?
The only difference between Nseries and Eseries has been build quality, battery life, and included apps. The Eseries devices have Mfe and multiple desktops and settings for work and personal usage, but usually lack in the multimedia space. The Nseries have several models that also ship with the various business apps, and have the better cameras and media features.

I find that I prefer to go with the Nseries and install the missing business apps for a well rounded business device, but you may want to save money and go with the more sturdily built device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
The only difference between Nseries and Eseries has been build quality, battery life, and included apps. [..]
Thank you, I always followed with interest the E-series devices but I never had one: I was scared to miss something fundamental in N-series for business. If the main difference is only in apps (but I can installl them).. the N could not be a problem

Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
Ummm... Question!

http://maemo.nokia.com and click email at the very bottom and it CLEARLY states "exchange for mail" pushing mail, contacts and calendar to your phone... Isn't this what everyone is waiting for? :S ....
Yes, I read them and I saw all Videos . Unfortunately I trust more of your opinion / experience than commercial promo

Or are you all talking about syncing software for your PC/MAC/UNIX-LINUX system?
Yes, unfortunately my Exchange question is more related to our customer / deployment scenarios. Personally I need the possibility to sync my device with Outlook (simple pc + cable + device solution ).

As long as I can sync to Google, I'm set.
I dislike to be in and solve my problems in the Google Cloud..

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post

the version of modest for earlier tablets did support multiple folders, so i think it's not too far fetched to assume the maemo5 version will do so too
Yes, I discovered the existence of modest here some thread ago and I think is really interesting so we could have a good mobile email client.
Don't you think could be a nice idea if Nokia would release the PC-Suite/What-ever-Suite used for PC-to-Maemo sync opensource in order to be able to work and fix it?

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
to me it appears that the differentiation between the n-series and e-series do not apply to the same extent in maemo/n900, if at all.

the e900 mockup pictured here looks interesting, but i still don't see the point in separate n- and e-series for the maemo platform.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Don't you think could be a nice idea if Nokia would release the PC-Suite/What-ever-Suite used for PC-to-Maemo sync opensource in order to be able to work and fix it?
considering the fact that maemo is debian-based, i would just love to see tighter integration btwn my soon-in-my-hands-n900 and a debian desktop such as ubuntu.

Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
to me it appears that the differentiation between the n-series and e-series do not apply to the same extent in maemo/n900, if at all.

the e900 mockup pictured here looks interesting, but i still don't see the point in separate n- and e-series for the maemo platform.
Hi, what about this mockup? Is just an idea or Nokia is working on a e900 alternative? In any case I would prefer that e900 for the keyboard layout. Perhaps, the only positive think of my TyTN device is the keyboard layout.

A bad think of TyTN device (that makes the keyboard quite usesless ) is the time delay since you press a key to the char appears on screen: if you write fast, often it simply miss chars or words (silly but true!). Did you experienced anythink like this on N900 device?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria

Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
considering the fact that maemo is debian-based, i would just love to see tighter integration btwn my soon-in-my-hands-n900 and a debian desktop such as ubuntu.

See this thread here.
the n900 supports SyncML over USB and Bluetooth. SyncML is an open specification, so we will most likely see synchronisation tools for linux (like syncevolution)

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
The only difference between Nseries and Eseries has been build quality, battery life, and included apps. The Eseries devices have Mfe and multiple desktops and settings for work and personal usage, but usually lack in the multimedia space. The Nseries have several models that also ship with the various business apps, and have the better cameras and media features.
Let me expand on this as someone who has used an N95 and an E71 to support my corporate Exchange account. There is a huge difference in messaging approaches between the N-series device and the E-series device. What christexaport says is somewhat true that the E-series tend to have better build quality while the N-series will have more of a multimedia focus with better camera. However the home screen setup is so much better with E-series, showing quick snapshots of email accounts, calendar and notes. This provides a quick, easy way to get to email inboxes or preview what message has come in by highlighting the box. They typically have dedicated keys to get to contacts, calendar and your email. E-series is designed to be a messaging device first and this difference is so frustrating when going back to the N95 and I feel my productivity take a hit. You can install Mail for Exchange on the N95 but the implementation is not even close to what it is on an E-series device.

E-series will come with a full version of Quickoffice to allow you to edit documents where N-series comes with a read only version.

Now, the N900 isn't Symbian so it's not coming with Quickoffice but I thought I saw it came with a Docs to Go install? Also, hopefully you can add an email widget to your screen to enable you to see what's hit your inbox. How will they do subfolders? If they do subfolders... Don't believe everyone when they say Mail for Exchange is "awesome", it's not but it gets the job done. I have high hopes for the implementation in Maemo but I will reserve judgment for when the device starts shipping and I see reviews.

The problem with waiting for reviews is that few people actually use these devices in a corporate environment so you will hardly ever see a review based on that. I searched forever to find a review of the new messaging on the E75 and it came down to me actually requesting a trial device from WOM World so that I could actually see it for myself. So I wrote my own review. Maybe I'll be able to get my hands on a trial N900 as well but we'll see. Wait and see and ask questions when the device starts dropping.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgon For This Useful Post: