Active Topics

Poll: Should there be a single site that will tell you when community input is requested?
Poll Options
Should there be a single site that will tell you when community input is requested?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I'm fine with posting here and not on the blog... I just need people to say so. Which, it seems, people are doing.

Having mailing list posts come here is ok by me too (we're already doing it here thanks to Valério Valério).

So, let me try to get a consensus from the Council.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I'm fine with posting here and not on the blog... I just need people to say so. Which, it seems, people are doing.
I don't have a strong preference on this, just a slight bias towards the council blog as is.

reasons:
a) it's more official and better integrated in the overall news structure (read: planet, news...), wheras the forums "feel" more like a place for casual small talk.
b) if I'm not missing anything right now (i tried and checked these pages again before i wrote this), you'd have to create a new section "Council news" to get an RSS-feed. Just posting to any existing section (like "maemo.org") wouldn't do.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I think *most* read the forums and *less than most* read the other multiple sources. Why not aggregate that information in the forums and get *more than most* readership. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to copy and paste text into a new thread, or provide a link and a quick synopsis.
Because then discussion takes place in two separate locations, which makes it really hard to come to a reasonable consensus.

and some really don't like mailing lists, irc, blogs, etc You name it and I'm sure you can find someone who hates it.
Which is all the more reason not to kill existing discussion areas.

correct, bearing in mind that ignoring pleas for better communication (or other issues) would lead to the certian loss of other important members.
This is a hardly a clear-cut issue. In fact, it's highly polarized, entrenched and subjective.

There are plans to integrate the mailing lists into vBulletin in the near future (much like Gossamer Threads), this should satisfy everybody involved.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
... and then there are things like email-vbulletin integration with to look at, even if I also agree it's not a priority now.

On the topic of concentrating relevant news around the council blog, I think not only the council members but also all of us active in this thread could spend a little less time replying posts and a little more time cultivating our collaboration channels for others to find more answers better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I suppose I should have spent several hours googling on what I needed to do, and what the requirements were before I would be allowed to vote. Instead, I stupidly mis-read the information I did find, and assumed that voting for a "community" council would be easier and involve more of the community they purport to represent.
Don't give yourself a hard time. This falls under the "you can't know what you don't know that you don't know" umbrella.

Your point is valid, and hopefully by next election community integration will be to the point that this confusion won't arise again.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
... and then there are things like email-vbulletin integration with to look at, even if I also agree it's not a priority now.
Thanks. I will research this if it can bes supported. It looks like there might be a problem supporting vB 3.8.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
I think what we need is a gopher server

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n9mjg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I think GA put it best:
The maemo-community list sounds like redundant now. Most of the people active there are active here. We clould consider closing it and we would have one redundant channel less.
Most is really not enough, however. I'm against this proposal, personally.
I think *most* read the forums and *less than most* read the other multiple sources. Why not aggregate that information in the forums and get *more than most* readership. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to copy and paste text into a new thread, or provide a link and a quick synopsis.
Because then discussion takes place in two separate locations, which makes it really hard to come to a reasonable consensus.
GA, what do you prefer? Your first post seems to indicate being in favor of getting more people involved by keeping the mailing list in addition to having the information in the forums. Your second post seems to be against having the discussion in two places. I'm confused as to what you are trying to say???

Which is all the more reason not to kill existing discussion areas.
I agree, I think the only person to suggest that has been qgil as quoted above.

The solution here is the mailing list integration into vBulletin, not the closing of a list and the certain loss of several important members.
correct, bearing in mind that ignoring pleas for better communication (or other issues) would lead to the certian loss of other important members.
This is a hardly a clear-cut issue. In fact, it's highly polarized, entrenched and subjective.
Agreed, I just wanted to point out that if we are discussing improving community communication (and potentially losing important members) we should be sure to try to alienate as few people as possible

PS Boy I wish quoting a post would include the previous posts. It'd make keeping track of a conversation easier.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
GA, what do you prefer? Your first post seems to indicate being in favor of getting more people involved by keeping the mailing list in addition to having the information in the forums. Your second post seems to be against having the discussion in two places. I'm confused as to what you are trying to say???
What I'm saying is that holding two discussions on one issue in two separate locations is undesirable, which is a separate issue from having two possible areas to discuss things and addresses the proposals to "cross-post" stuff between the lists and the forums.

A technical solution is really the best one to this problem.

Agreed, I just wanted to point out that if we are discussing improving community communication (and potentially losing important members) we should be sure to try to alienate as few people as possible
Which is why I like the idea of integrating the lists into vBulletin. People can browse however they prefer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
PS Boy I wish quoting a post would include the previous posts. It'd make keeping track of a conversation easier.
I agree. It is a lot of work to go back and harvest the quotes from previous posts to build a new post.

However I had trouble reading the nested quotes. I think it would be easier to post them sequentially. You know, something like:

The maemo-community list sounds like redundant now. Most of the people active there are active here. We clould consider closing it and we would have one redundant channel less.
Most is really not enough, however. I'm against this proposal, personally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: