Active Topics

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by tso View Post
nokia have never made a big number out of the tablet iirc, so i dont think this is related...
I'm not saying it's going to be a new tablet, but whenever the new tablet is announced I think Nokia will make a big deal out of it. The previous tablets were little more than a market test.

I bet on an S60-based N-series "flagship" phone based on the same hardware as 5800.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I bet on an S60-based N-series "flagship" phone
Highly likely.

Remember that when Nokia pre-announced the 5800 they stressed that it was "just" a mid-range phone, not their forthcoming high-end S60 phone.

So this one should be the high-end S60 phone. The IP08 makes sense - the i-phone killer that should have been out in 08 but will now ship in 09.

The slogan "Desktop.Laptop.Pocket" is intriguing, especially as "Pocket" is emphasized. Maybe it means the new phone will include QT so that the same app can be compiled for phone, laptop and desktop.

Roger.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
You should probably dress up in your Star Wars costume as well.
I'd go as Princess Leia.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Highly likely.
I agree; sadly I'm sure it won't be a Tablet. But if its N-series I'll still be happy.

based on the same hardware as 5800.
Is that an omap3? Would be interesting to see something from Nokia with an omap3 processor (the 770 and N8x0 innards are essentially previous Symbian phone components) just to see where they are in terms of systems integration and supply of these chips.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Is that an omap3? Would be interesting to see something from Nokia with an omap3 processor (the 770 and N8x0 innards are essentially previous Symbian phone components) just to see where they are in terms of systems integration and supply of these chips.
Judging from the price I highly doubt it. Maybe the high-end touch screen phone will though.

Wikipedia has some information about Nokia 5800. It doesn't mention anything about the processor though. Link.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
If whatever it is, if it has Symbian...
I'm betting it will be Symbian's last stand.

If it's the game changer it is rumored to be, I doubt it is a Symbian device.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Judging from the price I highly doubt it. Maybe the high-end touch screen phone will though.

Wikipedia has some information about Nokia 5800. It doesn't mention anything about the processor though. Link.
yeap.. but take a look at this link about powervr, you'd see that Nokia touchscreen phones in '09 comes with omap3...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powervr

I think there was suppose to be two days on conference...so there might be couple of new devices...best news could be for a reveal of N900. I am literally counting days for that news day when the official specs, images and the features are revealed.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Here is a concrete update from Scoble over on Friend Feed (courtesy of Howard Forums)

Scoble says:

"“Nokia has the goods but I'm not allowed to tell you what or why until 9:45 a.m. (Spain time) today. Wow.”

"I don't say "wow" lightly, but I can't say more. They did something Apple never does: trusted us with an early view of their devices the night before their big coming out party."

"I've already hinted way too much. I don't want to get the blogger relations team fired. It's VERY COOL that they are treating us so well and giving us such great access to their team"

"I took a picture of the new thing from Nokia next to an iPhone. Believe me, I'm a MAJOR iPhone fan. More later today. FriendFeed'ers will get first look at the videos and pictures I shot tonight."

"you'll want to see what they are doing there. Let's just say this isn't the same old N95 interface"

-----------------------

This has me thinking that there is definitely a new tablet being announced which does not run Symbian, or at least regular Symbian.
N900 with Maemo5 anyone?

links :

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3&page=7&pp=15

http://friendfeed.com/e/35f1ea87-b46...owed-to-tell/:

Tags
n900