Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by kotzkind View Post
Or you simply don't have an electric socket.
And where might you find an ethernet socket, but no electrical power?

I'll accept the first answer, but "more options" is NOT a ... oh, wait. You used a smiley.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by bigr3dd0g View Post
sigh. i uninstalled everything and followed the instructions step by step but i don't get a WIRED connection, and i don't seem to have a usbEthUp.sh script. i did a ls *.sh in my /usr/bin folder but there are not usbEth scripts >_> Am i doing something wrong?
The scripts are located in /usr/sbin, not /usr/bin. They may just not be launching automatically because the udev rule is only setup to run for a device that identifies itself with a product ID of 8150, which the Linksys does but perhaps the SMC does not. In any care, connect your adatper and try manually running /usr/sbin/usbEthUp.sh, hopefully it will work.

The scripts are required for all network adapters because they setup the actual connection, not necessarily the drivers/etc for the adapter itself.

And where might you find an ethernet socket, but no electrical power?
All kinds of places. Contrary to popular belief, data networks and electrical systems are not usually installed by the same people, so often the planning for each of the two doesn't always line up and make sense the way it should do. My argument for USB LAN is simply this: size and costs. A travel router costs at least twice as much as a USB ethernet adapter, and even though it's pretty small, it's still a lot larger (don't forget to include the size of the power adapter for it) than something like a USB100M. I keep my LAN adapter and OTG in my pocket all and carry 'em with me all the time anywhere; I certainly wouldn't want to try and do that with a travel router and power adapter...

Hope that helps!

-Rob

Last edited by jolouis; 2008-09-22 at 15:36.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi, I downloaded dbus script and USB LAN packages from WIKI and I followed the steps and as I'm using adapter with different chip I entered usbEthUp.sh and at the end it said "connecte to WIRED" but can't surf internet or do anything related to internet. By the way I'm using N810 with the latest software and in message I got after usbEthUP.sh is:
/usr/sbin # usbEthUp.sh

No value set for `/system/osso/connectivity/IAP/auto_connect'

udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started

Sending discover...

Sending discover...

Sending select for 10.1.1.5...

Lease of 10.1.1.5 obtained, lease time -1

/etc/udhcpc/default.script: exec: line 7: /etc/udhcpc/default.zeroconf.dhcpup: not found

Resetting default routes

adding dns 10.1.1.1

adding dns 10.1.1.1

/usr/sbin #

Please guide me through it, I'm a newbie as well.. thanks.
One more confusion: While going through Kate Alhola's blog there's the mentioning of configuring Linux server. So, is the internet connection via computer? coz how I'm trying now is, I got ADSL modem and I connect the ethernet cable from that modem to the ethernet adapter and to my IT directly, no computer involved. Moreover, I just use Vista in my computer. thanks again...

Hey jaeezzy, from the sound of things it seems like the network adapter is actually functioning (it seems to have gotten an IP address, though I don't know how accurate that is). Do you see the link light and activity lights working on the adapter?

There's some confusion because in tablet terms there are actually 2 different types of "USB Network": the first is when you use the USB cable to connect the tablet to a PC, and setup a "network" between the two of them; think of that as the modern equivalent of a null-modem cable.
The second USB Network is the kind we're talking about here, which is using a USB->Ethernet adapter to connect your tablet directly to a wired network, no other computer required.

You mention that you're trying to connect it to your DSL modem, which creates an additional problem because you need to establish a PPPoE connection once you're physically connected (usually) in order to "login" to your internet provider and get a proper ("authorized") IP address. I haven't heard of anyone actually trying to do this on the tablet but it's probably not impossible, but you'll need to do some more research.

The typical application for this would be to connect the tablet to an existing LAN, rather than your DSL modem directly.

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Thank you Rob for your time to answer my silly question. I'm glad to hear that there is no problem with the settings and all. By the way, when I use my laptop to connect to the modem I don't have to do any authentication, neither have I done any setup in my laptop, it directly gets connected without having to do anything. Sorry, for my silly questions coz I don't have much knowledge about these things. Also, does that mean that I can take my IT to uni and take one of ethernet cable off the computer and connect it to my IT and start surfing the internet? That will be great coz I couldn't use my uni's wifi in my tablet due to some settings..
More importantly, I don't have linux computer. So, is there anyway I can connect my IT to my windows computer and use the internet?... thanks again..

If you don't have to do any login/setup on your laptop to make it work then you shouldn't need to on the NIT either. (In general the scenario you describe usually needs authentication, but there are a number of reasons that it wouldn't, so just be happy you don't have to deal with it).
Also, does that mean that I can take my IT to uni and take one of ethernet cable off the computer and connect it to my IT and start surfing the internet?
Pretty much, if it works with a laptop it should work with the NIT the same way...

As for networking with a windows machine, I believe it's possible but I don't know for sure as I've never tried it; do some searching here and in the Maemo Wiki to see what you can dig up. (my answer would be to simply put in a router or switch so that you can connect your laptop and tablet to the same internet connection, but it depends on where you are and what specifically you're trying to do, so if that doesn't make sense do some looking around as mentioned previously).

Thanks!
-Rob

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I've installed latest usb lan package.
Indeed using my dongle is very comfortable and easy - I've got Davicom's chip.
Script start's dhcp client, retrives ip/dns etc. I've got "connected to Wired" notification.
And again - in command line - I can "even" ping sites by their names ie. ping www.google.pl - name is resolved properly.
When I launch a browser - it just can't connect to anything, the same with e-mail.
Since SKYPE connects properly I think there is some DNS issue.
I don't know what could I check to know what's going wrong.

XTC, That's strange, have you tried restarting the tablet after installing the USB LAN package? Really shouldn't be required, but it might help. The other thing to check would be to make sure you don't have any proxies or anything setup that can't be accessed over the wired network connection. Beyond that if you can ping from the command line and skype works then it sounds like a Dummy connection issue with ICD2... try doing a full remove/re-install of the package and see if that helps.

Thanks,
-Rob

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Right now I can see "Dummy" as well as "USB" and "WIRED (only when I've got my dongle set up)" in connection manager.
I'm not sure if "Dummy" isn't just a leftover from my manual previous approaches - how to get rid of that if it's unnecessary?

Maybe my manually edited /etc/resolv.conf is messing something (I have to add my DNS'es manually since I don't use DHCP and setting them (DNSes) in "Advanced" tab of wifi connection doesn't seem to affect anything).

Sounds like you've got a few connections left over there that aren't needed; you should be able to remove them using the connections manager. (The automatic Wired one should be the only one required, and it will appear and remove itself as you run the usbEthUp and usbEthDown scripts).

Quite possible that the resolv.conf is causing problems though I'm not sure why; I've only used the packages in DHCP environments so I don't know how ICD2 will react to statically assigned settings, there may be more work required...