Active Topics

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
whoa!!!!

sorry everyone, but I didn't want to start a war out here!

First, I apologize for what my question has brought, and I'll try to explain myself:
1) I DID some search out here on ITT, yet was unable to obtain a clear answer
2) if you notice, my status is also senior member, but I asked this in the newbie section to get a direct, simple answer (which I still don't have, but whatever...)
3)
EDIT: By the way... if you are starting a new thread on something already posted, you should'nt post

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22633
my question was about a different subject. Actually, I was able to find the differences between the SDK's but not between the OS's.
4) If this could possibly help, I rephrase my question:

Is upgrading from chinook to diablo worth 2 entire days of work?

5) the most probable answers to this would be "depending on what you do", so here's quick list:
- internet browsing
- schoolwork (xjournal, gnumeric, hyperchem...)
- music & video
- some games

The problem is that my system is highly personalized, and about 25% of my software isn't in repositories, so it takes too long to restore all of it. Is it worth it?

hope this helps (at least a bit)!

P.S. PLEASE, don't answer "depends", just tell me what you THINK.

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
whoa!!!!

sorry everyone, but I didn't want to start a war out here!

First, I apologize for what my question has brought, and I'll try to explain myself:
1) I DID some search out here on ITT, yet was unable to obtain a clear answer
2) if you notice, my status is also senior member, but I asked this in the newbie section to get a direct, simple answer (which I still don't have, but whatever...)
3)
my question was about a different subject. Actually, I was able to find the differences between the SDK's but not between the OS's.
4) If this could possibly help, I rephrase my question:

Is upgrading from chinook to diablo worth 2 entire days of work?

5) the most probable answers to this would be "depending on what you do", so here's quick list:
- internet browsing
- schoolwork (xjournal, gnumeric, hyperchem...)
- music & video
- some games

The problem is that my system is highly personalized, and about 25% of my software isn't in repositories, so it takes too long to restore all of it. Is it worth it?

hope this helps (at least a bit)!

P.S. PLEASE, don't answer "depends", just tell me what you THINK.
Now THIS is enough detailed user case to form an opinion...

Based on this, I'd say that it is not worth it. Only if the web browsing represents the majority of use, including heavy flash sites, then I'd recommend it, but otherwise no.

Yes.. that question was a bit easier to read... I would differ from Mara and say yes for the reason of the OTA updates.

It'll take you a while to get setup again now.. but eventually when more upgrades and stuff come out they are going to do it Diablo style (I imagine?) and once you go Diablo, theoretically, you won't even have to do this setup again.

But like the above post I don't think you'll actually benefit anything right this second; but I think you will have to (or at least want to) at some point.. may as well get it out of the way when you have time to spend rebuilding your environment. One more flash and (theoretically) you'll never have to wonder this again.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
""Is upgrading from chinook to diablo worth 2 entire days of work?""

Well, in my case the process took about 40 minutes fron starting with Chinook, through flashing Diablo, then following the amazingly simple application(s) reinstallation and re-establishment of user data. It all went without a single hitch, and like I said, I was very pleased. Not only with how painless the process was, but with the end results too: Diablo seems snappier, more stable, Micro-b *works* now, and the Application/Update manager works much better too.
I say go for it, based on my experience.
Too bad the attitude of some members can seem downright rude and off-putting.
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Well, in my case the process took about 40 minutes fron starting with Chinook, through flashing Diablo, then following the amazingly simple application(s) reinstallation and re-establishment of user data.
when I upgraded chinook 50-2 to chinook 51-3, the process took me an entire day. I had time back then, but I'm busier right now. Since there are not so many differences between chinook and diablo, i'll keep chinook for now.

second question: just to make sure: all the aplications working under diablo will work with chinook or no? (the other way it works, i know that)

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It's funny how many times I've searched, appended my own question to established threads only to be ignored and have months past by where I don't receive an answer.

It seems as if the "search" method doesn't always work either.

With that said, the attitudes in this thread is downright horrible. I don't resort to that kind of attitude and I've been the senior moderator/admin at two sites for almost 8 years and 5 years, on sites with 600k+ and 58k+ members respectively.