Active Topics

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by muchristian View Post
Any chance you would be willing to share what solar charger you are using? I have a Brunton Solarport 4.4. Seems to work but I haven't actually tested how long it takes to charge. I do a good bit of backpacking myself, and I think this Brunton is a too bulky. I use it to charge the batteries for my Canon S3 IS and my Garmin Rino 120.

thanks....
I'm using two. A Solio that has an internal battery and can charge iPods/phones etc after the sun goes down if you can't run a cable to the device or don't want to leave the device on display at your camp site. I'm getting a USB adapter for that and the USB->Nokia 2mm cable goes in there.

The second is a pair of plain solar panels I got from SparkFun.com. They run through a voltage regulator a friend made up to make sure it doesn't bust out more than 5v (USB spec). Last year I had those panels mounted on the top of my pack (wrapped around my sleeping mat) and charged my GPS for 6 months straight.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
If you want to save weight why do you need the iPod and GPS data logger?
I need to save weight so I *can* carry the ipod and data logger.

Sorry dude, I never even installed USBControl, I don't like the way it
is packaged with UKMP and I haven't got a suitable cable set up yet.
You'll have to try on the forums or ask the author.

~Craig

On 9/02/2008, at 6:08 AM, jorthodoc @ Internet Tablet Talk Forums wrote:

> This is a message from jorthodoc at Internet Tablet Talk Forums ( http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/index.php
> ). The Internet Tablet Talk Forums owners cannot accept any
> responsibility for the contents of the email.
>
> To email jorthodoc, you can use this online form:
> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...member&u=14053
>
> OR, by email:
> mailto:jorthodoc@comcast.net
>
> This is the message:
>
> Want to thank you for great instructions on the software approach to
> solving USB compatability with the N810. I'm so close to making it
> happen I can taste it. Botton line is I installed in the following
> order:
>
> 1) MPlayer 1.0 rc1......
> 2) UKMP V.1.71
> 3) Update UKMP V. 1.73
>
> Got message unable to update from Application Manager for the UKMP
> V. 1.73
>
> Went to Extras and finally found to my suprise the USB icon. Loaded
> all the other programs which opened but no responce from the USB
> icon. Rebooted and still no responce. Did this with the Nokia USB
> mini cable by itself and with a female to female USB 2 connector
> fitted with a 1 Gig Kingston USB DataTravler.
>
> Would REALLY appreciat any of your thoughts.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
I think I've read about 3,000 posts about USB cable adapters and haven't really seen anything completely clarified yet. I admit to being a little confused on whether I need micro B or micro A, but that's mostly after reading about USB on Wikipedia.

Anyway...

Will this work:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...roductid=33062

It seems to me that it would, but only if what I want is micro B (which I assume it is since that's what my OEM USB cable is. I already ordered it, so if no one knows I will in about a week. To cover all my bases I also ordered the simple female to female coupler from the same site ($2.50), but I'm hoping the adapter will work.

I'm looking to use this with a variety of things -- keyboards, card readers, memory sticks, even USB hard drives.

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else. I haven't been able to find it.

Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Just so I am clear, the cable that comes with the 810 is insufficient to use with a female to female adapter to get out to a thumb drive because the pin settings are wrong?
no, that works for me with the usb control app. in host mode

This works without needing usb control, and I like the cable version better than the big plug version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260426063728

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
Originally Posted by internetpilot View Post
Will this work:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...roductid=33062
Excuse me as I reply to myself (), but I wanted to let everyone know that this plug does work and works great, even without running USBControl. The plug was $6.99, but shipping was a little bit of a ripoff since the cheapest shipping method is priority mail at $5+. Most of us are geeky nerds anyway -- just order a couple more cables to fill up the box a bit more and make the shipping charges worth it. Bought it on 6/25, received it today, 6/29. They're in California and I'm in Florida. Clearly, they ship quickly.

So far I've tried and successfully used:

1. USB hard drive (external power).
2. 4GB memory stick
3. 8GB SDHC card in a card reader
4. nMediaPC wireless RF keyboard/mouse (the mouse doesn't work, of course, but the keyboard works great!)
5. Panasonic FZ50 digital camera

Once my teenager returns home with the car, I'll pull the GPS tracker out of it and try it in USB mode (like a GPS mouse) to see if I can get a faster link on an external GPS.

Anyway, it works if you want to go that route. It's kinda nice having it just be a plug, but I could also see how a short corded dongle would be nice, too.

-- Chris

Hey guys --- just upgraded from the N800 to an N810. So, I'm a bit confused on the usb host mode and wiring and all for micro usb. On the N800, I always used the app to switch to host mode... am I understanding that with some cables/ adapters, this happens automatically? I don't mind getting an adapter and switching the N810 to host mode.

Thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
With a standard cable/adaptator, you need to switch manually, with an "OTG" cable, you just need to plug, and the N810 will switch automatically. At least that what I understood. Go to ebay, and look for "N810 OTG" One Chinese dealer sells a specific cable for 8USD, including shipping. Many people here bought it, and it looks to work flawlessly.

Perfect! That makes sense. I will probably go for the ultra small adapter that was on here a few posts back... either than or a micro to mini! Thank you!